Cheese and Salsa

Started by DTAggie, April 25, 2010, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

I love salsa and smoked cheese.  Decided to smoke the veggies I use for salsa as well as some sharp cheddar and pepper jack.  Smoked everything for 2:40 using only the SG.  Temp stayed right at 80*.  Cheese is all wrapped and tucked away to do its magic.  Salsa has a fantastic smoke flavor and everyone loves it.  Used apple.

Garlic, Jalapenos and onions going in

Tomatoes going in

Cheese set to go in

Veggies after smoke - forgot to get tomatoes picture after smoke

Cheese after smoke

Salsa all made up

classicrockgriller

That is a pretty picture!

I love salsa too.

I have a great salsa verde recipe and sometimes I smoke the ingredients.

Did you really put ALL those jalapenos in that bowl?

DTAggie

All but four pieces.  I had 12 of them sliced, seeded and no membrane.  So ended up using 10 total.  Was hotter last night then tonight.  Only things I did not smoke were limes and cilantro.

OU812

Thats a good lookin bowl of salsa.

I love salsa too, on eggs, hamburgers, meatloaf, you name it.

GusRobin

Anyone have a good salsa recipe they want to share?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

Gus,

For this one I used the following. It makes quite a bit so you could easily cut it in half.

12 jalapenos, seeded
12 tomatoes, halved
6 white onions
8 cloves of garlic
2 bunches of cilantro
1 cup fresh lime juice
4 tsp salt

As you see from the pictures, I smoked everything except limes and cilantro.  Used a food processor with a few of the jalapeno halves, onions, tomatoes and garlic in process and mixed in a bowl.  Just have to take it easy on the peppers and taste as you go to desired heat level.  This is the first time I smokedall the veggies and the reviews have been awesome.

GusRobin

thanks-I'll try it this weekend. Based upon your quantities about how many cups did it make?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KevinG

Nice. Haven't tried that one yet.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Just dug this out of my e-mail.

I think there are 10 different recipes here for various Salsa's.

10 Fuss-Free Salsa Recipes

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/ethnic-food/mexican/10-fuss-free-salsa-recipes/?sssdmh=dm17.443642&esrc=nwwu&email=1549210434

DTAggie

Gus - not sure how many cups but it is a heck of a lot of salsa.  Usually I make it with half the ingredients but since I was smoking I wanted to make it worth my time.

ArnieM

Yhe salsa looks great.  I have a question on your recipe

Quote from: DTAggie on April 26, 2010, 09:26:07 PM

12 jalapenos, seeded
12 tomatoes, halved
I counted 11 1/2.
6 white onions
Looks like 3 to me
8 cloves of garlic
Looks like more than 8 to me  ;D
2 bunches of cilantro
1 cup fresh lime juice
Wow, a lot of limes for that much juice.
4 tsp salt

As you see from the pictures, I smoked everything except limes and cilantro.  Used a food processor with a few of the jalapeno halves, onions, tomatoes and garlic in process and mixed in a bowl.  Just have to take it easy on the peppers and taste as you go to desired heat level.  This is the first time I smokedall the veggies and the reviews have been awesome.

Thanks
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Arnie,

Had to add last half of tomato unsmoked - would not fit on rack.  You are right on the onions, sorry it was three.  Depending on size you could use more.  One too many Tito's when I responded with the recipe.  Extra garlic for use later on other things.  All the juice is from the veggies.  No extra oil or any kind of fluids. 

ArnieM

Thanks Aggie.  Having company this weekend so I'll try to put some together. 

Nice post and well documented.  Some have asked me for the recipes I used on last night's dinner.  My only response was "What dinner?"  I chalk it up to old age  ;D

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

I hear ya.  I say you can use any salsa recipe you have just smoke whatever ingredients possible.  I did it on a whim and was pleasantly surprised on the results.

jiggerjams

Here is a copycat recipe of the Lone Star restaurant version. I find it pretty close.

Ingredients

* 4 fresh tomatoes (peeled and diced)

* 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes

* 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
    * 2 small jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped)
    * 2 minced fresh garlic cloves
    * 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1/2-3/4 red onions, chopped (the amount you use is up to you)

Directions

1.  To easily peel tomatoes, cut an X into the top or bottom of the tomato and place in boiling water for a few minutes remove, let cool slightly and remove skin.

2. Dice tomatoes, place in food processor add tomato paste, chopped peppers, minced garlic, cilantro, salt, onions and oil. Process until mixed.

3. This mixture usually fills my food processor, so I empty this into a bowl; add the can of diced tomatoes and process to chop the tomatoes a little finer. I then put this into first mixture and mix.

4.  At this point the salsa is ready to serve, but if left to sit in refrigerator for a few hours the salsa will thicken and the flavors will intensify.

5. This method produces a fine textured salsa. I you like a chunkier salsa, I sometimes place onions, seeded peppers, cilantro, garlic in the processor whole and process until chopped. I then take the tomatoes and pulse them until I have the texture I like.