Cheese and Salsa

Started by DTAggie, April 25, 2010, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

DTAggie

Bout how many limes does it take to get 1 cup lime juice?

Thanks.

DTAggie

I had four originally and was a bit short then had to get two more.  So about 6 and they were medium size.

OU812

bob_loblaw

DT Aggie

Used your recipe for the smoked salsa last night.  2:20 of pecan (only wood I have at the moment)  Came out good with a fantastic smoke flavor.  No heat though which was surprising b/c I put 10 big jalapenos in there.  Gonna pick up some fresh ones tonight to mince and add to my portion. 

And yes, it makes a TON of salsa. 

Next time I think I will change two things.  1) mince the garlic and then smoke it on a piece of foil.  I have a crappy food processor so there are some large chunks.  2) leave the seeds/membrane on half the peppers and make a mild and hot batch.  Thanks for the recipe, have a great weekend everyone!

BuyLowSellHigh

Many fresh Jalapenos are quite mild - there are "sweet" varieties.  If available in your area try substituting some Serrano for Jap's.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

DTAggie

Funny this post came back up tonight.  Earlier this evening I had my first taste of the cheese.  The pepper jack had a smooth smoke hint and the cheddar had a stronger, but awesome smoke taste .  My question, what is the best way to store cheese?  I will be getting a FoodSaver tomorrow for my b-day.  Can you freeze?  How long will cheese keep in fridge before going bad?

Bob, glad you liked the salsa.  I made it again with 12 peppers and again it did not have much heat.  So either leave some seeds and membrane or use a Serrano's as BuyLow suggested.  Its a bit of a balancing act with garlic as well as the last batch would linger on your tongue a while.  I did not mind, but the wife..well.

ArnieM

I have both heard of and had vac cheese in the fridge for months, many months.  No degradation - maybe even got better.  You have family and friends - and me -?  Just parcel it out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Is it wrong to be greedy?

ArnieM

Quote from: DTAggie on May 28, 2010, 09:30:57 PM
Is it wrong to be greedy?

Naw.  You smoked it so you can keep it.  Just get some out when you have company  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Heading out to the lease next month to start getting things ready. (Well we tell the ladies that)  Really just to get away.

TestRocket

The salsa looks delicious and I hope I can find this recipe again one day when I have the time to try it!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: TestRocket on May 30, 2010, 03:36:27 PM
The salsa looks delicious and I hope I can find this recipe again one day when I have the time to try it!

Book Mark it!

Start you a file of links you save.

TestRocket

I did just that! So simple! Thanks!  ;D

Quarlow

I put all the recipes I want to make on to "Notepad". Then when I had a bunch I got a small memory stick and now keep them on it so I don't lose them.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

Glad people are trying it.  My only caution would be watch the garlic if you are not a big fan and maybe start by putting four of the onions in.  Just depends on how strong they are.