Cheese and Salsa

Started by DTAggie, April 25, 2010, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I did some of the salsa a few weeks ago using DTAggie's basic recipe.  I just cut down the quantity some.

Ready to smoke.

In the bowl.

It was a really big hit.  The smoked veggies are great.  I'll be doing it again this summer.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Dude .. where are your Frogmats?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Arnie, glad it was a hit

bob_loblaw

Will be making another batch of this in a few weeks for a family gathering.  Will smoke Tomatoes, Onions and garlic that is already diced.  Not going to smoke the peppers as I think they lost too much heat and the other veggies provide enough smokeyness.  Also going to increase the cilatro to as much as double.  Finally, the girlfriend prefers chunkier salsa so I may add less liquid or try to rough chop the veggies (this may not work as I do not have good knives and IIRC they came out of the smoker quite soft)  Will post results.

Uncle Pigfat

Most of the capsaicin is contained in the membrane of the pepper so if you're having a problem with lack of heat, just leave the ribs in when you're seeding. 

DTAggie

Yeah I don't beleive smoking takes the heat out, just the membrane does that.

bob_loblaw

I did leave the membrane in!  ;D  I know heat will vary greatly in Jalapenos some are like green peppers, others crazy hot.  The one I tried before hand was pretty hot.  Maybe it was the anomaly of the bunch. . .   I may end up taking the membrane out, smoking the peppers and then put the non smoked membrane back into the salsa.  Then accidentally rub eyes and hate life. 

Uncle Pigfat

Quote from: bob_loblaw on July 20, 2010, 08:15:01 AM
Then accidentally rub eyes and hate life. 

I did that after chopping 20 habaneros once.  And itched my nose.  Like an idiot, I didn't wear gloves either.  The only thing I could feel in my fingers for 2 days was heat and pain.  After that, chopping jalapenos does nothing to me.

OmahaBen

Wow.  Looks great.  Definitely going to have to add this to the list of ideas for football season.