Jigger Has Broke His Cherry

Started by jiggerjams, April 28, 2010, 12:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Hello All,

Last Thursday I set out on a mission to buy a meat slicer that I have been scoping for a while via kijiji . I wanted this slicer after reading a lot of posts regarding bacon, Canadian bacon, corned beef, Pastrami, etc. on this forum. Did I own a smoker? No ..kind of like putting the cart before the horse per Se. Preparation I told myself.

It was a mixed up day for me, work was a killer, supper was short, and now I am back on the road with little rest to purchase the best deal on a slicer I could find before someone else grabs the deal. Well I get down to the area early. The owner of the slicer is out and will not be back for an hour. No problem, I will occupy my time (hiccup). As I was driving trying to locate a watering hole (or not) I came across a store LeBaron's. This is a store that Monte from the forum put me on to when I asked where was the best place to buy a Bradley six rack from. How the location was already punched into my gps I have no idea (hiccup). Well the people at LeBaron not only let me leave without purchasing anything, they also let me turn around and return as the lights were growing dim to purchase, yes purchase a digi 6 rack to call my own. Did I walk my way into this purchase? You bet!!

The best part is I walked out of there owning a Bradley Digital 6 plus 4 packs of 48 bisquettes for $523 CAD taxes in. This is the best deal I could find. Is this a sale? Did I create my own special deal? No and no. I already knew that the store was selling the Digi 6 rack for $429.94 and maple fuel was being offered for 12.99 for a pack of 48. The other three packs I paid fulll price for at $14.99. During the transaction I discoverd I could buy a membership for $25 per season which entitled me to 10% off my entire purchase. This is how I ended up buying a Bradley 6 rack plus 192 bisquettes for $523 taxes in.

Ok now I am late to bicker on a slicer . Well I bought that too, a Global Chefmate C9 for $180. In  my opinion another good deal but I am over spending my budget like a son of a gun!!

So you all know, ths happened last Thursday night. I have been staring at the silver slick for days until Sunday when I seasoned it (Hiccup) What a delicious smell...Hickory. I stared because that is all I could do. I was busy all weekend.  There was gardening stuff to be done (beats housework). Well in all the scatter the dryer crapped out. Never fails, spend something on yourself and voila the dryer craps out so I have to take a day off and get the unit serviced. So I book my day off and prepare dinner using the Bradley tonight. Did I meet dinner schedules? Nope...was the product outstanding YEP!!

I used a combo of 10.5 recipe and the ribs and beans recipe. Delish!!. Better than anything and I have cooked a ton. Was the process smooth? Pretty much except this or that, I inquired with AM and FLB to make it all come together.

RIBS were Dino!!  Beans were great too.

Sorry CRG this newbie is not picture iliterate, He1^^ I don't even own a cell phone.

Thanks for reading,

Stoked More Than Ever
JJ

FLBentRider

Congrats on your new smoker and slicer.

I'm not sure you can dry clothes in the six rack. You may need a new dehydrator for that...  ;D

Actually you probably can, and I'm surprised CRG hasn't done it yet.

The clothes might come out a little smoky... LOL
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Sounds like you've spent your money wisely, you can always hang them clothes over your stove.  ;D Good to hear your smoke worked out well!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Heck hang them clothes outside let mother nature dry them for you. You gots an addiction to feed.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

jj, that is a funny post.

congrats on a well deserved smoke.

jiggerjams

Thanks guys. I still have the taste of the ribs hinting around in my taste buds. I am hungry but don't want to eat anything and spoil the linger. What a slice of heaven!!

OU812

Sounds like every thing fell neatly into place, well except the dryer thing.

Glad to here your first smoke went without a hiccup.  :D

ArnieM

Hi JJ,

Sounds like you did pretty well.

You've probably seen posts on removing the racks and adding a couple of wooden poles to dry sausage.  That should work for the clothes, but I wouldn't add smoke.  Then, you can bring 'em in and slice 'em up.  Practice makes perfect  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jiggerjams

Yes I was pleasantly surprised. Not by the performance of the smoker but more so by the fact that I had to deal with a repairman that wanted me hands on most of the time (at least I learned somethings). Also he needed to shut the power down on the house for a while so that dropped my cabinet temperature. I put the bricks in the oven once the power was back up in the house then returned them to the smoker to aid in bringing the tower up to temp.

I could see the wife now if I was putting clothes in the smoker. She would think I have totally lost it, which is probably not too far from the truth already.  ::) Classic funnies.

I can't say enough about how the ribs tasted. It was like a symphony of flavor going off followed by juices flowing out of the ribs. I have never had juices actually flow out of ribs before. Caught me totally off guard and I had to clean the floor. I used the 3-2-1 method but I modified it to a 3.5-2-5.5. I would check the ribs in the sauce stage by picking up a corner and seeing if there was much flex to the rack. Once I was satisfied with the flex I pulled them off and FTC for approximately 2 hours give or take.

The temp outside was 11C / 12F and the smoker did well holding cabinet temps throughout the afternoon but once the evening chill started to set in the temperature needed increased so I raised it to 280 from 250 which was giving me a reading of 225 to 245. Whether or not it was those temperatures I have no idea. I will use my temp gauge next time.

If anyone has any input or tips please feel free to share. Anyway I gotta go now as I am at work and I am feeling a breeze if you know what I mean  ;)

Stoked for Life,
JJ

DarqMan

Congrats jiggerjams, you're gonna love that smoker!

I'm currently in the market for a Hobart 410 slicer, just trying to find the best deal.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

jiggerjams

A Hobart would be cool. I don't have the space or the money for one of those. They are worth big bucks in our area. I was looking at those and Berkel to start with but I couldn't pull the trigger on a deal. Good Luck with finding a deal!

As always, it's been a slice!
JJ