Help with Bradley Digital Thermometer

Started by StickyDan, April 27, 2010, 02:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

I bought a Bradley Digital Thermometer and I'm not sure it's very accurate.  I cooked  a prime rib yesterday using the Bradley Digital Thermometer.  It was reading about 97 deg in various spots of the meat.  My mother in law brought her thermometer along so I decided to try hers to see if there was a difference in temp readings.  Well, there was - a huge difference.  Her meter was about 10-18 deg hotter when placed in the same spots as the  Bradley Digital Thermometer.  Thank I god I tried hers because my father inlaw would have spanked me had I over cooked the prime rib.  So my question is, how accurate is the Bradley Digital Thermometer?  Can I calibrate it?  Are there better thermometers out there?  I've always cooked stuff by feel and instinct and have had pretty good luck. HOwever, lately I've been trying all kinds of different stuff for the first time so instinct is not always the way to go.  I need a good pro quality thermo that works.  Any suggestions would be great.
cheers

Habanero Smoker

Most digital probes cannot be calibrated. You can check them for accuracy. Read the full article on Testing for Accuracy, it has some useful information.

Testing for Accuracy

Boiling Point Calculator

Most digitals are accurate within +2°F. Some have better features, like the Maverick ET-7, or ET-73. They both have two probes, and are remotes. The ET-73 monitors the cabinet temperature and the internal meat temperature, while the ET-73 has two meat probes, but one can be used to monitor the cabinet temperature.

For better accuracy and as a backup, it is always nice to have an instant read thermometer. These can cost around $10.00 and up. Many of us have a Thermapen, but for general checking you don't have to spend that much on an instant read.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Sticky, I think Habs accidently type the same model number for the two probes.

The ET-73 monitors the cabinet temperature and the internal meat temperature.

The ET-7 has two meat probes, but one can be used to monitor the cabinet temperature.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

StickyDan

thanks guys.  Do you know where can i buy one of these in Canada?

classicrockgriller

Stick, start you a new post and title it like "Buying a Maverick in Canada"

There are some great smokin canucks on this forum and they help each other like brothers.

You will get you answer.

smokeNcanuck

Dan, I looked and came up empty.
I ended up ordering one from a store on e-bay, with our
dollar the way it is you will not be paying much more.
The seller shipped via USPS and I did not pay any duty or tax.
Good luck! ;) hope this helps ya out.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Habanero Smoker

Mr. Walleye posted where he obtained his. I believe it was from Canadian Tire, but you need to know the actual stock number.

Hopefully he will log on and read your post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RAF128

I saw a few weeks ago at the Home Depot (of all places).   It was a digital and it came with a remote you could take with you into the house.   3 pieces total.   The probe and read out to put on the smoker and the remote to take with you.    If I recollect right, it was $49 and change.    Had I seen this sooner I'd have had a look since I just came from there.

StickyDan

got tired of looking so I ordered one online from yard & pool.  Thanks everyone

oakville smoker

Here is another alternative for Cannucks

Presidents Choice has a digital that is wireless with decent range for 25 bucks or at least it was when I bought mine
Better still, I had a whack of PC points and it was pretty much free
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Mr Walleye

StickyDan

You used to be able to order them from Home Hardware but I just checked their web site and the part number doesn't come up anymore. I know when I have got them there I always had to talk them into looking the number up on the computer because they usually don't know they can get them. Anyway, here is the Home Hardware part # 6427182

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes