Chicken brine??

Started by okeechobeefishing, April 30, 2010, 02:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeechobeefishing

Read a recipe for a chicken brine it called for pickling spice went to  the store to get it and they don't have it and never heard of it . I live in a small town is there a pickling spice that you can buy or do you have to make your own. Thanks jerry

FLBentRider

* 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
    * 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
    * 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
    * 1 teaspoon whole cloves
    * 1 teaspoon whole allspice
    * 1 teaspoon juniper berries
    * 1 teaspoon crumbled whole mace
    * 1 teaspoon dill seeds
    * 4 dried bay leaves
    * 1 small piece dried ginger
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jiggerjams

I like FLB's withthe addition of an orange and a lemon, both halved, squeezed and then added. If I added an onion quartered, substituted nutmeg for the mace, omitted the dill, and used fresh ginger instead of dried this is the brine I use for my Christmas turkey. Oh and no juniper berries. I can't find them  :-\

classicrockgriller

Quote from: jiggerjams on April 30, 2010, 03:07:31 PM
I like FLB's withthe addition of an orange and a lemon, both halved, squeezed and then added. If I added an onion quartered, substituted nutmeg for the mace, omitted the dill, and used fresh ginger instead of dried this is the brine I use for my Christmas turkey. Oh and no juniper berries. I can't find them  :-\

If you ever order anything from Allied Kenco, he carries them.

okeechobeefishing

Found some made by mccormick. got chicken in the fridge going try smoking it tomorrow. First time chicken smoke wish me luck.  Made the brine from reciepe I found here the low salt brine. Thanks Jerry

Habanero Smoker

Glad you found some. McCormick makes a good pickling spice, though expensive. Avoid the brands that just bulk it up with mustard seed. If you every place an order with Penzey's Spice, I feel they sell the best blend of pickling spice. For future reference, places that sell canning supplies generally stock pickling spices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nolan

I have about 7 lbs of chicken breasts and I plan to use the following flavored brine recipe:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?21-Apple-Juice-Turkey-Brine-by-Smokehouse-Rob

BRINE

* 1 gallon apple juice, chilled
    * 1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
    * 3/4 cup granulated sugar
    * 1/2 cup honey
    * 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
      Recipe makes 1 gallon of brine.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix all ingredients in a non-reactive container until dissolved. If you are using a salt other than Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt, or 1/2 cup pickling salt, or 1/2 cup of non-iodized table salt.
   2. Rinse turkey, and pat dry with paper towels. Then immerse turkey in the cooled brine. Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid).
   3. Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
   4. After brining, rinse the turkey and pat dry with paper towels. If you have the time, place on a rack over a rimmed baking sheet and allow to air-dry 8-12 hours in the refrigerator. This helps create crispy skin during cooking