3-2-1 ribs?

Started by drewpatton, May 03, 2010, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewpatton

I've been bumping around quite frequently on the forum and have seen several references to cooking ribs with the 3-2-1 method. I was hoping that someone could either point me in the direction or explain to me what that really is. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Drew

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

More detail...

3 hours smoke
2 hours in foil w/ a splash of ...
1 hour out of foil to set the sauce.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

drewpatton

Right on. I've read that before, I guess my pea brain didnt put together that was the 3-2-1 method everyone was talking about. Thanks for the direction. I plan on doing a few racks this coming weekend and while my ribs turn out pretty good I am always looking to experiment and learn more.

Caneyscud

Keep in mind the 3-2-1 is generally for spareribs.  Baby racks are generally 2-1-1 or so - sometimes longer.  Once you get the 3-2-1 and the 2-1-1 down, then try the 6-0-0 or 4-0-0 method (i.e. - no foil)  Did three racks of bbr's week before last to test out my rain drenched smoke generator (looks like no ill effects - I let it set to dry for a month or so)  and one rack was done in 4 hours and the other two in almost 5 (they were really meaty - had a lot of loin meat still on them).
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

drew, there is a recipe on the recipe site that iceman does called Competition Ribs.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?449-Competition-Ribs&p=699#post699

Instead of foil, he spritzes.

Did these a couple of weeks back and they turned out really good.

The rub was a little too sweet for me but that can be adjusted.

drewpatton

Thanks CRG! I can't wait to do some more ribs. It's been entirely to long. I have been very occupied with beef here lately. I am seriously in the mood for some ribs! Any one have any suggestions on their favorite sauces?

db14

Can'ts help you there, I live and operate in a sauce free zone.  IMO good ribs don't need sauce, but to each his own.  Plenty of people on here use sauce and the recipe site has suggestions also.

classicrockgriller

I, no sauce if it is a fresh cook.

I add sauce on a re-heat.

Lately been using a "Chipotle Mustard Pepper Sauce"

Yowsers!

drewpatton

I like to cut them in two rib portions, toss in sauce and broil for a min or two!

kerk72

We were fortunate enough to find a perfectly functioning 6 rack BDS for $20 at a yard sale on Victoria Day weekend.  We've smoked, several rainbow trout, a pork butt, 2 beef blade roasts (chuck), 2 chickens and a ton of home made moose sausage,  This weekend we tried our hand at side ribs (spare ribs).  I am so gald we did 1/2 with sauce and 1/2 without.  Everyone should try their ribs without sauce.  What an amazing flavour.  Totally tender, not falling of the bone, but perfectly tender as ribs should be.  We did the 3-2-1 with pineapple juice and the rub listed here http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/recipe/basic_barbecue_.php.  Finished 1/2 with Diana sauce chicken and rib and 1/2 done naked.  Thanks for the tips, the ribs were wonderful!!!!

muebe

Wow! A six rack digital for $20!

What a great score ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

Quote from: muebe on June 24, 2012, 04:24:17 PM
Wow! A six rack digital for $20!

What a great score ;)
depends, was it Canadian or US $20. Just joking, it is more than fortunate it is once in a lifetime score.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: kerk72 on June 24, 2012, 04:18:38 PMEveryone should try their ribs without sauce.  What an amazing flavour. 

I thought that's how they're suppoeed to be done.  Sauce just masks the true flavor of good ribs.   ;)

Anyway, great deal on the Bradley and welcome aboard.  Don't forget to post some pics of your smoking adventures.

GoCobbers95

I figured I might as well jump in here too, as I don't have pics and therefore want to avoid being harassed ;) ...

I used the 3-2-1 method on a few slabs this weekend for the inlaws. Worked out wonderfully.. My father in law was a bit unsure when I didn't slather with sauce, but I think I won him over...

Thanks everyone!