3-2-1 ribs?

Started by drewpatton, May 03, 2010, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

Quote from: TonyL222 on July 14, 2013, 11:56:47 AM
Pretty close to my method.  Discovered I like St. Louis spare ris better than baby backs:

All at 220 degrees.  The last two steps can be done in the oven.

So true on both counts.  I was at Costco one day and saw a big stack of St Louis ribs so I decided to give them a try.  Boy was I pleasantly surprised - they were way meatier than baby back, and to a person, everyone I serve them to like the St. Louis style better than the baby back.

I too do the last two steps in the oven unless I am entertaining outside and don't want to leave the party.  ;D
My online cookbook: good food & friends

TedEbear

Quote from: rveal23 on July 16, 2013, 04:06:09 PM
While that is going on,  I simmer down the juices and use that as my sauce if needed, but 95% of the time the ribs are perfect without even using the simmered down sauce.

Use the juice to make some Vermont Maple Glazed Pig Candy brush on the ribs the last few minutes.

rveal23

Quote from: TedEbear on July 17, 2013, 04:40:08 AM
Use the juice to make some Vermont Maple Glazed Pig Candy brush on the ribs the last few minutes.

EXACTLY! Best source is from the Source!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pondee

Picked some "picnic" pork ribs.  Look real meaty,  Would the 3-2-1 method work on these?  If it works for spare ribs, wouldn't I need to cook longer for the meatier picnics?

devo

If it where me I would leave them in foil longer, say maybe another hour. I always go by how much of the bone is showing (1/2 inch) before I pull mine. Lots of rib experts here and I am sure they will suggest something different

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pondee on August 18, 2013, 06:09:10 PM
Picked some "picnic" pork ribs.  Look real meaty,  Would the 3-2-1 method work on these?  If it works for spare ribs, wouldn't I need to cook longer for the meatier picnics?

I would have to say I've never heard of this cut. Different regions and even different stores within a region will give different names to cuts of meat. You may be referring to baby back ribs (aka back ribs), that come from the pork loin. Those ribs tend to be meatier, but much leaner. They have a lot less tough connective tissue, and will cook faster then spare ribs and take less time to fully cook.

I don't cook baby backs, but many do. If they are baby backs, someone will be along to help.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)