Sunday Afternoon Power Smoke.

Started by StickyDan, May 03, 2010, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

I've been smoking Costco brand cashews for some time now and I decided to do batch this past Sunday.  I've used hickory and mesquite in the past and the general concensus is that hickory smoked cashews are the way to go.  It's pretty simple, buy cashews from Costco, cover rack with tinfoil, cover tinfoil with cashews, cold smoke for about an hour. Yum. 
I figured since I had the smoker going I would try a few different things.   First up, ketchup.  Initial taste tests are pretty good.  It's in the fridge now so I'm hoping it will get better with age.  I don't even like ketchup but the wife puts it on everything and she was all smiles last night.  Next up, granulated garlic and sea salt.  Figured I'd give it a shot.  Both seemed to take the smoke so now I gotta wait till I can use it in/on something.
Finally, I cold smoked some rib eyes, prawns and scallops for about an hour before tossing it all on the grill.  Wow.  Everything was awesome even though I used mesquite.  The mesquite was probably a bit to strong for the seafood but great for the steaks.  I think next time I'll try a different type of wood for the seafood.  Any wood suggestions for shell fish?
Smoke it if you got it!!!

classicrockgriller

They smoke salmon with Aulder, But I bet apple would be good.

Habanero Smoker

For salmon, catfish and trout I use maple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)