Flatlander cold smoked salmon

Started by whitetailfan, May 20, 2005, 06:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

OK - I admit it.  Whitetailfan has no idea what good smoked salmon should taste like.  I grew up with cows and pigs, and some other animals we never ate, but here in southern Alberta there was no "handy" salmon, so I have eaten very little.
<font color="green">BUT</font id="green">
I tried some anyway, and I'm kinda proud of it - ie it tastes good to me so, here's what I did.

Purchase (if you're on the coast go catch it) some salmon.  I bought 2 frozen "Wild Atlantic Salmon Filets" (product of China by the way) from the local Safeway.  (Just under a Kg each).

Check directions on the tenderquik pouch.  I measured out about 2 teaspoons per filet, and sprinkled on the flesh.  Let this sit for about 12 hours.

Wash off the fillets (freshen them).

Sprinkled with garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, and parsley for colour.

Set out to dry in fridge, probably went about 4 to 6 hours, as there is no air flow in the fridge, you may want to find a cool area and then leave out and maybe even set up a fan.  Good texture, tacky to touch.

Cold smoked with maple for 2 hours.  Temp was always below 100deg.

Put back in fridge for 24 hours before sampling.

Had some the last 3 nights on Ritz.  I think its awesome, and very simple to prep.  Much less time than some of the other recipes, but also the fact that I used tenderquik, makes me feel more comfortable with the whole cold smoke idea, because the temp is totally in the danger zone.

The texture is velvety???  It just slides off the skin with a fork, I really like this stuff.  Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of prior experience to compare it to, so I cant tell you if I like it better than spyguys, because I've never tried his.

Just thought I should share.

Everyone have a great May Long.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

Sorry I'm not a fan of salmon. However, your recipe sounds simple and seeing how it taste great then when I get back to gleaning the boards it will be added to the recipe site. (Or you can post it on the open board yourself.) Do you have photos? If so E-mail them to me [^]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Crazy Canuck

Whitetailfan
We must have been in the same store except I got em 2 for 1. I used Kummock's recipie but instead of salt in the brine I substituted 1/4 cup Morton Tenderquick. I used garlic powder, onion powder and lemon pepper while it was drying. Don't know how they turned out though as the father in-law came to visit and pilfered 40 dollars worth of  smoked salmon.[:(!] Wife says I am not aloud to say anything.[}:)] So I'll type it and send him a copy[}:)]

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St.John,BC

oguard

Hey guys glad to here your smoked salmon turned out well.To avoid pillfering by father in laws,cousins,uncles,and fathers I always vacuum pack and place at the bottom of freezer(out of sight,out of mind)[}:)][:D][:D].Just some advice from a veteran of smoked salmon thieves[;)].

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tsquared

WTF-Your 1st cold smoke salmon sounds good--but did you try all the fixings that go with it? Paper thin lemon slices to go on top of the cream cheese on your bread and/or jalepeno jelly, fresh ground pepper and of course, ice cold vodka? [:p]
Tom

Oldman

<b><font color="red">Whitetailfan recipe is added.</font id="red"></b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!