Smoked beef chuck roast?

Started by DarqMan, May 03, 2010, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

I've never smoked a chuck roast, but I've got 5 pounds of it (2 x 2.5lb) in the freezer and was thinking about an experiment. 

Has anyone ever smoked a beef chuck roast?  Any suggestions on how to prepare prior to smoking?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

They are a fun smoke.

You can either bring it to a lower temp 150* and below

and slice it and have like roast beef. Or

You can bring it up to 180'sh and slice like a brisket. Or

You can do like to 200 IT and have pulled beef.

DarqMan

CRG, what's your time estimate for the 2 pieces to get them to the stage where they can be pulled? I'm thinking about running the cabinet temp @ 225 or so...
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

classicrockgriller

They cook pretty quick.

Around 5 hrs depending on how thick they are.

Are they like 1 1/2 " ?

DarqMan

Actually they are more like 2" thick.  That's why I grabbed them, they looked nice.

classicrockgriller

That is a nice thickness.

If you have two, might try two different ways.

DarqMan

That's a good idea.  I'll do them on the same day, they're in the same package and will be thawed together. I can take one out early for sampling and make adjustments to the other based on what I find. Sounds like fun!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DarqMan on May 03, 2010, 07:02:30 PM
That's a good idea.  I'll do them on the same day, they're in the same package and will be thawed together. I can take one out early for sampling and make adjustments to the other based on what I find. Sounds like fun!

You the man!

I wouldn't get real crazy with a rub.

IE: don't over do it.

DarqMan

Roger that... I'm thinking about going simple with some black pepper, touch of salt and just a couple hours of pecan.

classicrockgriller

maybe a tad of garlic and onion powder.

a tad!

SnellySmokesEm

I have done the chuckies both ways, sliced and pulled. Here is the link to one of my smokes:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15374.msg183389#msg183389

I also did barbacoa two weeks ago and I was very pleased
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15554.msg185600#msg185600

Hope this helps!!!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

DarqMan

Some good pics in that thread... Now I'm hungry.

Appreciate the tips.  I'll be sure to post on my progress when the smoking starts!