And here...we....go.....

Started by db14, May 04, 2010, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

Ok, so let the fun begin.  I am charged with preparing some food for a party this weekend, so naturally I have decided to use the smoker.  My wife is graduating from college (finally! two incomes might be on the horizon!) and we're having a small get together with roughly 30 people.  It will be more of a lunch/snack type setting, so we don't need massive amounts of food.  Went to Sam's because i heard their prices were good and it seems like some others on here trust them.  Picked up a 3 pack of bbr's and a twin pack of boston butts.  I will be making all three slabs of ribs on Saturday morning and will have plenty of time for the 3pm start.  My wife has suggested there will be plenty of food and that I only need to make one of the butts which will be pulled and made into sandwiches.  The other will get platic wrapped and ziplocked and into the freezer. 

So here's where you guys come in.  This is my first pulled pork and I've been readin plenty on here to feel confident, but am open to any suggestions.  I believe I will use Iceman's Oink'r rub and will put that on the night before cooking.  I plan to smoke this a couple days in advance, wrap in a couple layers of foil, refridgerate, then reheat in the oven on Saturday.

My major questions at this point:
Should I brine it first and if so does anyone have any suggestions?
What temp should I pull it at if I plan to reheat later?
Should I still FTC after cooking the first time?

Feel free to shoot holes in any other parts of this plan as well.  Thanks for the help.

BuyLowSellHigh

A couple of pointers on to brine or not ...

IF your pork is "enhanced" (i.e., contains x% of a solution ...) then DO NOT brine - it's been shot with salt water +.  If you have plain naked un-enhanced pork then I like brine - 8 oz salt + 16 oz molasses per gallon of brine solution for 12-14 hours for large cuts like a butt.  You need to be able to keep the meat completely submerged and refrigerated while in the brine.  This can be done in a cooler using ice for part of the water and added ice packs or frozen jugs of water .

Second if you do brine then your rub should be salt free, and little sugar - you've already taken care of those with the brine.

With two butts plus ribs to tackle I would suggest that unless you are brine experienced keep it simple - skip the brine for now and focus on good pork and having a whole lot of fun!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Tenpoint5

Yes you still want to FTC the butt to let the juices redistribute. You can pull the butt and put it in a crock pot and fridge until ready to reheat. then put a splash of Apple Juice in the bottom and reheat. Will be just as good as right out of the smoker, well as close as you can get. I would suggest adding some mooink balls to the lineup as they are really easy to do and they go over really well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I would do both butts in advance, pull and vacuum seal.  You never know if you might need to break out the 2nd one... (or send home samplers)

Butts freeze Ok, but take days to thaw.   I'd rather do the work on the front end, and freeze the 'ready to eat'.

classicrockgriller

Can't go wrong with Iceman's rub. Some good stuff.

No brine on a butt from Sam's!

Do rub it a cpl days inadvance (can't hurt)

Like 10.5 said cook to 192* or so and FTC.

After FTC, do a re-wrap for visit to fridge.

Take some apple juice and pour into the FTC foil and mix the juice

with left over FTC juice and save that for the re-warm.

Again, Congrats to Wife and You!

When me and my wife got married she was missing one semester having her degree.

Four kids later she decides to go back to school.

Switched majors which took two years to Graduate.

She worked 31 days and said she had had enough. ;D

But she does have it to fall back on if she has to.

db14

Ok, so the answer to one question lead to another.....

Should I pull the pork then refridgerate or leave it whole and reheat then pull?  It seems like both ways have been done.

ArnieM

First, congrats again db.

I think the guys have ya pretty much covered.  Any pork that says "Enhanced" or "Always tender" should not be brined.

I never trust a butt.  Cooking times can vary quite a bit.  Many have said, and I agree, pulling it and putting it in the fridge overnight can enhance (there's that word again) the flavor.

The ribs?  6-7 hours.  And then, to sauce or not.

How about some ABTs?  Good on the side.  Smoked nuts are good too - a little cayenne in there.

Enjoy yourself.  Sure, easy for me to say  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

I would pull it while it is hot... (let rest in FTC for a couple hours to let it 'get happy')
You're already tired, dirty, smokey, covered in pork fat, possibly drunk.  Get it done and wash/pitch the pans!

Good luck!     MrsSTC went back for her Master's a couple years ago.    A lot of work, but she was happy to get it over and done with.     Congrats to MrsDB!

db14

Well, it would be going in the fridge for two nights, but I wouldn't think that would make a big difference.

Yeah, 6-7 hours is exactly what  iwas planning on for the ribs.  Usually a single slab takes me about 5.5 hours, so I'm adding a little time for the extra load.

Not sure what ABTs are, little help?

db14

squirt, what pans are you referring to?  Just using a larger foil pan underneath foil moisture/drippings?  I haven't typically done this in the past but could definitely get that set up if it would help.

squirtthecat

I do my 'pulling' in a big foil roaster pan. (2 butts will fill a full steam time size pan)  Just easier to catch the mess/drippings when you are tearing it apart.

Some put a foil pan under the butts while they cook, some don't.     

db14

Thanks to all for the congrats.  CRG, I hope it lasts more than 31 days, that wouldn't even cover teh student loans that I will be inheriting  :o

db14

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 04, 2010, 08:56:05 AM

I do my 'pulling' in a big foil roaster pan. (2 butts will fill a full steam time size pan)  Just easier to catch the mess/drippings when you are tearing it apart.

Some put a foil pan under the butts while they cook, some don't.     
Got ya.  We have some nice Pyrex pans that I was going to use since they have lids and could be placed in the oven if needed (although maybe crockpot would be better).

I may need something bigger than the standard water bowl during cooking so I won't have to keep opening and adding water every few hours.

squirtthecat

Definitely..

Walmart has foil 'cake' pans that are 9x13x2.5".  Sometimes they are blue or red colored.   They fit great, and will hold enough water that you won't have to worry about it. (at least not in the middle of the night)

OU812

I put a pan, half full of warm beer, on the rack below the rack the meat is on and collect the drippins. Then go to bed.

In the morn refill the pan with some more beer and wait for the butt to tell when its done.

When you do the FTC put the pan in the fridge to let the fat become solid, discard the fat and you have some killer juice you can add back to the pork.