And here...we....go.....

Started by db14, May 04, 2010, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

Just looking at the packages, it looks like one side of the meat has a relatively layer of fat on it.  Should I trim this off before cooking or put that side up in the smoker?

OU812

I trim it down to an 1/8"

The butt has plenty of fat in it allready.

FLBentRider

I don't trim them.

I have enough work to do.

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Personal choice on trimming.

If you do, you get a butt with a lot of usable bark to mix back in with the pulled part.

If you don't, you may lose some of the bark if it is too fatty to mix back with the pulled part.

I try not to mix fat back into my pulled meat.

Others may differ.

Caneyscud

Congrats to your wife.  Four years ago Mrs Scud decided at 49 to go back for another Masters - turned out she essentially got 2 more Masters.  Got her a good job now and making more than I am at 32 years of doing this.  Bad thing is that she has the attitude to go with the 3 Masters.  Wish she was making enough I could quit and stay home and cook and sell bbq!  But then again, I probably lost both big stickburners in our floods - the water has not receded where they had been sitting.  Funny thing is that I am the one that wants to go back to school - but she has not let me pull the trigger on it - then she slides in after telling me for almost 30 years - no way, no how is she going back to school?

No brine - no need - the shoulder has plenty of fat and collagen for you to have a moist, tender, succulent result.  Trimming - make it simple for yourself.  No need to, but knock yourself out if you want to.  I'd also cook both, as it won't take as long or cost as much to do 2 concurrently as it would 2 back to back.  I usually mix the fat into the pulled meat, but make sure it is small pieces.  The fat is expected around here.  Or you can leave it out.  If you do, take time to cut the bark off and mix it in.  If you don't you will be losing lots of smokey goodness.  Frig for two days is a good thing.  All that meat, all those juices and all the smokiness meet one another, get comfortable with one another and really get intimate with one another before it reaches you plate.  Pulled pork almost always tastes better the day after. 

ABT's are Atomic Buffalo Turds.  Cored and stuffed fresh jalapeno, wrapped in bacon and smoked until done.  Killer appetizer.  There are many appetizers - ABT, Moinkballs, Diablos, Fatties, Bacon Explosions, bacon wrapped chicken tenders, etc....  That are great additions to meals
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Not to hijack but Caney them big stic burners should just need some cleaning out and re seasoning and you should be back in business.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

db14

Thanks Caney.  I hope there is no more school in either of our futures, but we have a long way to go.  I don't think she'll be passing up my income, but only because she's going to be a teached, not because I make THAT much.

It sounds like I've gotten a concensus on everything except the reheating method.  In the oven or in a crockpot?  And do I need to add some liquid to it when I reheat?

Sorry for the overload of questions.  Just trying to avoid all the little mistakes along the way.

OU812

I would reheat in the crock pot with the juices from when the pork was cookin.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ArnieM on May 04, 2010, 08:44:34 AM
First, congrats again db.

I think the guys have ya pretty much covered.  Any pork that says "Enhanced" or "Always tender" should not be brined.

I never trust a butt.  Cooking times can vary quite a bit.  Many have said, and I agree, pulling it and putting it in the fridge overnight can enhance (there's that word again) the flavor.

The ribs?  6-7 hours.  And then, to sauce or not.

How about some ABTs?  Good on the side.  Smoked nuts are good too - a little cayenne in there.

Enjoy yourself.  Sure, easy for me to say  :D

Any pork that says "Enhanced" or "Always tender" should stay in the display case!!! :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 04, 2010, 01:24:13 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on May 04, 2010, 08:44:34 AM
First, congrats again db.

I think the guys have ya pretty much covered.  Any pork that says "Enhanced" or "Always tender" should not be brined.

I never trust a butt.  Cooking times can vary quite a bit.  Many have said, and I agree, pulling it and putting it in the fridge overnight can enhance (there's that word again) the flavor.

The ribs?  6-7 hours.  And then, to sauce or not.

How about some ABTs?  Good on the side.  Smoked nuts are good too - a little cayenne in there.

Enjoy yourself.  Sure, easy for me to say  :D

Any pork that says "Enhanced" or "Always tender" should stay in the display case!!! :)

;D ;D ;D ;D now that's funny!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 04, 2010, 01:24:13 PM

I agree 100% !  Enhanced pork (and poultry too) is one of the things (or is that two) that make me crazy.  Words to watch for - "Always Tender", "Moist and Tender", "Always Moist", "Tender 'n Juicy", "Guaranteed Tender", or anything similar.  When you see these stay away.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

db14

We're off and running!  Did a little trimming last night and got these rubbed, wrapped, and taking a nap in the fridge until late tonight.  I've decided to do both of them, that way I can feel free to eat a little of it myself.  The plan is to put it in late tonight and have it come out around lunch time on Thursday.  We'll have to wait and see if the meat cares about my plan.

Here is the before shot.  Got the Iceman rub made already.  I didn't have a means of grinding the red pepper flakes, so I tried it with just adding the flakes.

Here is one wrapped and one not wrapped yet.  

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

OU812

Those are goin to be gooooood.

I like your idea, 1 for me and 1 for the party.  :D

db14

I think I will put them both on the same rack if they fit.  That would save me from needing to rotate.  Anybody see any problems with doing that?  It will also help to keep the temps similar on the two.  I just got my Maverick and it's already not enough because I need to monitor both pieces of meat and the CT.  What I will most likely do is monitor the piece that looks considerably smaller and the CT until morning, then when the smaller piece gets in the neighborhood of being close I will stick the second probe into the other piece so  Ican monitor both.

The other issue I just realized was my lack of bubba pucks.  I've always had shorter smokes to where I could open the door and remove the last few pucks before they smolder.  I plan on this going overnight, so I may be getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning just to slide a few pucks.