And here...we....go.....

Started by db14, May 04, 2010, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

db14

Yeah, the taste was good, although it seemed to me like the flavor wasn't as strong in the center.  I'm think since all of the smoke hit it when the heating element was off that maybe the smoke didn't permeate into the meat as well.  Just a guess but it makes sense to me.  Overall, not bad for a first go and considering the circumstances.

FLBentRider

With that thick a cut of meat, it won't.

The trick is to chop up the bark and mix it in with the pork.

It's even better the next day.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Sounds like you had a happy ending!

Ditto on FLBR...   It's even tastier the next day.

OU812

Good lookin pile of pork db.

The bark looks awesome.

Like whats already been said the flavor is better the next day.

I've got 2 butts I'm puttin in the smoker tonight yankin out tomarrow, pullin, throw in the crock pot and addin the juice I will be collecting durin the cook and warm up for the party on Sun.

Got a brisket goin on too.

db14

I did mix in the bark, or at least the pieces I didn't eat myself while trimming.  The bark on the top of the meat was a little thin in spots, almost like a skin, but it seemed ok.  It's all mixed together and in the fridge.  There are 2 of those 13x9's full of pork and there would be more if I wasn't so picky when it comes to fat.  I discarded quite a bit since I knew there would be plenty.

I also saved some the the drippings to possibly use for the reheat, but it looks like pure grease, kind of orange-ish.  Is that normal?

db14

I also got some positive comments from the wife who said "I'm really glad you decided to cook both of them."  I also got her to try some after she said she doesn't like pork like that and would not eat it.  Her response?  "That's pretty good, I might eat some of that."  I'll call that a step in the right direction.  Now if I can only get her to eat ribs  :-\

OU812

Quote from: db14 on May 07, 2010, 06:47:27 AM
I did mix in the bark, or at least the pieces I didn't eat myself while trimming.  The bark on the top of the meat was a little thin in spots, almost like a skin, but it seemed ok.  It's all mixed together and in the fridge.  There are 2 of those 13x9's full of pork and there would be more if I wasn't so picky when it comes to fat.  I discarded quite a bit since I knew there would be plenty.

I also saved some the the drippings to possibly use for the reheat, but it looks like pure grease, kind of orange-ish.  Is that normal?

Put the drippins in the fridge, the fat (kind of orange-ish) will become solid, discard the solid stuff, what you have left is some dark very flavorfull pork juices.