Another PID Question

Started by VI_Smoker, May 05, 2010, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VI_Smoker

I am looking at getting a PID as I would like to smoke sausage and have read lots of helpful advice on the different Auber PIDs and the Maverick thermometer.  My question is - if I got the dual probe PID would I still need the Maverick?  The only functionality I think I would loose if the wireless capability of the Maverick.  Am I missing something?

I have a OBS and have so far smoked a brisket and some ribs to rave reviews from friends and family so thanks to all newbies for the 'dumb' questions I would have asked and all the pros for the patient advice.

Toker

The Maverick is also usefull for his low high alarm feature for when you ave more than one pieces of meat in the smoker you can set both the pid and the Maverick and this way cooking both pieces of meat without closing the heater after the 1st piece of meat reached the desired IT.

BuyLowSellHigh

I'd keep both.  I had a weird one this past weekend in my first use of my Bradley.  Things were stalled in the 170's Sunday late morning - both Polder and Auber in agreement.  Then, surprisingly, the Auber was reading in the 150's - Polder still in the 170's,  Opened the door, pushed the Auber internal probe in maybe a half-inch and right back to agreement with the Polder.  My best guess is that at the very tip of the Auber probe the meat/connective tissue had contracted and pulled away from the Auber probe.  If I'm right then it was just by chance that the probe ended up in such a spot.  But you can imagine what could have been a disastrous result had I not had a 2nd internal temp check in place.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here