Cornish Game hens.

Started by bflosmoke, March 20, 2010, 03:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

I was on the recipe site and didnt find a recipe for Cornish game hen. Has any one ever done these? I figure I could fit at least 16 in my OBS. Would you brine them? I have no clue how to approach this
BFLO

Habanero Smoker

I smoke them frequently, and I do brine them. You only need to brine them 1 - 2 hours, depending on the amount of salt that is in your brine. I use 1 cup pickling/canning salt per gallon of water, but when I brine I generally only have 2 - 4 hens, so 2 quarts is all I need. Then add additional ingredients you like, or use one of the brine recipes on the recipe site. Smoke at 225° - 250°F applying 1 hour of smoke, until you reach an internal temprature of 165°F measured at the thigh. I also like to stuff the cavities with either herbs, pieces of citrus or fruits.

Occasionally I will use a Cornell Chicken Marinade (which is really a hybrid of marinade/brine). For Cornish hens, try marinating for 1 hour.

Cornell Chicken Marinade
4 quarts water
7 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
4 (3 1/2-to 4-pound) whole chickens, halved

Marinade 1 – 2 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

I've done them too, I use an orange sauce over them. It comes out real good.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

bflosmoke

Thanks for the answers Habs and Kevin I guess my next shopping trip will involve some of those little suckers.
Thanks again BFLO

Habanero Smoker

Cornish hens are really good. I prefer them over more fully grown chickens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

Quote from: bflosmoke on March 20, 2010, 03:41:31 PM
I was on the recipe site and didnt find a recipe for Cornish game hen. Has any one ever done these? I figure I could fit at least 16 in my OBS. Would you brine them? I have no clue how to approach this
BFLO

Here is the recipe from this website.....    http://www.bradleysmoker.com/cherry-bisquette-recipes.asp#3

I've used it including the anchovies on 4 at a time and it was great. I did brine the hens first.

Keep in mind that the more hens you load into the Bradley, the longer they take.

Regards, Rich

rkp

Hello, why does everybody brine everything before smoking? Cant you just preheat and place in the smoker to smoke/cook?
OBS w/ auber pid

KevinG

You want to brine when you smoke at low temperatures to prevent botulism.

FLBentRider

Brining also adds moisture and flavor. Especially to poultry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

My thought on this; in the Bradley when you are using temperatures of 200°F or higher (for ground beef greater than 225°); those temperatures are considered barbecuing temperatures, and it is perfectly safe to smoke without brining or curing. When you are using temperatures below that, then you are in the range of what is technically called "hot smoking" 100°F - 180°F), and "cold smoking" (60°F - 90°F), then more food preparation and precautions need to be taken. The temperature ranges for "hot" and "cold" smoking will vary depending on your source.

So I brine some meats, such as chicken and fish for flavor and moisture. It your chicken has been injected with a brine solution at the factory, then you don't need to do any additional brining.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BUFF2Bus

Good info here--thanks to all contributors.  My first attempt smoking with the Bradley was 4 Cornish Game Hens.  Thawed thoroughly, brined for a couple of hours, slathered with EVOO, smoked for 2 hours, cooked for 5 hours until 165 degrees internal temp.  Result--a rousing success; truly delicious smoked little birds.  Made me look like a hero.  ;D   Appreciate the sharing of your great experience. 
Fly the aircraft--first, last, and always.

KevinG

Gotta luv it when things work out  :D