Beer Can Chicken

Started by beyondclarity, May 07, 2010, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondclarity

So -

I'm wondering - should I cold smoke the chickens in my Bradley before throwing them on the grill?  Will they become too smoky after spending time in the Bradley and then on the grill?  That's my main concern.  I was thinking maybe an 1-2 hours of Apple pucks...

Thoughts?

Quarlow

I would personally hot smoke them and the just crisp them up on the BBQ at the end. I would go with 2 hours of smoke since you are using Apple and then cook till near done. If you were using hickory or something strong I would only go 1 to 1.5 hours till you figure out how much smoke you like.

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

I agree with Q, but if your going to cold smoke, make sure you use cure before hand.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

beyondclarity

Yah i spose the Bradley does the indirect heat thing well enough so I could just as well do them in the bradley till nearly done as Q suggested.

Any idea of the time required to get whole chickens to proper IT?  Also - what do you think the proper temp is to set the cabinet to?

squirtthecat

250° until you get a IT reading in the breast of 165°..

Will probably take a couple hours.

At least that is how I do them..

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG