Buying a Thermometer-Hygrometer

Started by smoker lar, May 06, 2010, 08:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker lar

I am just starting to build a drying chamber out of a old upright freezer. This is my first time for cold smoking so I'm just going by what I have read alittle on the internet. I'm shopping for a thermo-hygrometer with a probe. I want a probe to drop down the vent hole on top of chamber to read both the temp. and humidity inside and have the base unit mounted on the outside of chamber. This way I don't have to keep opening the door to get the readings. Yes, I will have a temp. and humidity controller for each inside but just want to double check the reading from the outside as well. I know you can get base units with a sensor that you can stick inside but I'm afraid the moisture from the humidifier with get inside the holes on the sensor and rust things up, thats why I'm thinking a probe would work better. Can anyone steer me in the direction of what there using and where to purchase it. Many thanks. 8)     

KevinG

I don't have one, but I believe NePaS might. I'm sure he'll be along soon.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Sorry. I didn't see this when it was first posted.

This one is extremely accurate, but has a wired probe. Search around you may find a better value. When you do your searh make sure that the one you are ordering has a hygrometer in the probe.
Hygro-Thermometer

This one is not as accurate as the above, but it is accurate for a dry cure cabinet. Plus it gives you wireless remote, and a few more bells and whistles.
Wireless Hygro-Thermometer

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

I have the second one that Habs linked.  The sensor is inside but I don't have a humidifier in with it.  It has been rained on by the water dripping from the freezer though  >:( and still works fine.  I have had it running since December I think.