Another Brisket question

Started by peteramone, May 22, 2005, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteramone

The meat cuts in the UK are wildly different to the USA and I am now getting a handle on most US names to UK names, but how thick should a flat cut brisket be. I used a rolled brisket and it was about an inch thick after it was unrolled. After brining, rubbingf and smoking, it was way too salty and I had to bin it (waste of 5hrs)

psdubl07

The last flat I did was just under 5 lbs, or about 2 1/4 KGs I guess.
Including the fat cap, at the thickest part it was roughly 2 inches thick....after cooking.  It probably lost 1/4 inch during cooking.

Not knowing where you purchased it I will say this, for me it makes a big difference whether I get my flats from a real meat market vs. a grocery store.  I made the mistake of buying a flat from Safeway (West Coast chain) and it was much thinner, not very uniform in thickness, and had too much of the fat cap trimmed off.

A good brisket flat will be somewhat uniform in thickness, i.e. not much taper at the ends.  Here is a link that not only has tons of good info on prepping and cooking briskets, but will give you an idea of what a good flat looks like.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

BigSmoker

Pete,
A brisket does not have to be brined.  It takes many many hours of slow cooking to make it tender.  I've never heard of a rolled brisket but it definitely sounds to thin.  If you find yourself with another one like that try stuffing it with sausage, veggies and cheese roll it back up tie with twine and cook the same as a regular brisket until a fork turns easily in the meat.  The brisket is the chest muscle of the cow.  All the flats I've cooked are appx 5 lbs I think thats about 2.5 kilos and most are 2-21/2 inches thick.  Thats 5-7 mm thick.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

Peter,
What sort of brine did you use?  As some of the others have stated, it's OK to just cook a brisket.

Also - a "rolled brisket" is something I have not heard of yet.  My question would be is a rolled brisket treated in any way?  Perhaps the product is cured already???  So when you brined it added even more salt?  Just a thought...

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

peteramone

The brisket is uncured and usually rolled and tied. I thank you for your suggestions and I will ask the butcher for a suitable piece of meat