What's Everyone Cooking For Memorial Day

Started by Remington, May 23, 2005, 04:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Going to my parents and smoking a couple pork butts along with some corn in the Bradley.

Remington
Elyria, OH

psdubl07

Brisket, ABTs, and a batch of Smoked Onion soup.

If you have not tried this soup yet, you should.  The flavor is unbelievable.  Be sure to use a nice rich beef stock that you know has good flavor.  The range of flavors in commercial stock is crazy and some of it tastes like water that a cow might have, just maybe, looked at once.

I sort of combined the two soup recipes, one found here
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=821
and the other from Smoke and Spice, which is very much the same,  just some added Thyme etc...  I also added the sugar more at the beginning to help the onions carmelize.

2 things I would do a bit different:

1) I didn't use much cream, but may not use any next time as the soup is so rich to begin with.  I guess it's more of a cold-weather dish (Sorry Olds!) but the flavor is so good I'm gonna make it again this weekend.

2) I threw the onions in along with some ABTs, so they got an hour of Pecan.  I think this weekend I will cut the onions in half and give them another puck or two of the pecan.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> a batch of Smoked Onion soup<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Can never get too much of this, I really do injoy this---making it and eating it.  I will probably put a few onions it for a later date.  ALSO Vidalias are in.

I'm not sure yet but those Saint Loey's are sounding good.  My wife will opt in for some Pablano's and some bakers.  With the Pablano's I will leave out the bacon(I can'y believe I said that) and focus on more shrimp with the cheese.  BUt I will wrap them in bacon so I can have some redemption.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

Mike, which version do you make, the one on the forum, or the S&S?

That was my first time making it, so didn't want to change anything up too much.  Damn was it tasty! [:p]

MallardWacker

I did what ever was posted on the forum.  

I have done it in mainly two ways, red or white wine.  The red is the best.  I experimenting with the size of cuts of the onion pieces.  I'm thinking of even putting a slice of Provalone on top.  Also I have incresed my beef stock to TWO box(containers).

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Foam Steak

I will be driving cross country.  Probably going to be feasting on McDonalds, Taco Bell and strong coffee.  This is my strong coffee recipe.

1 Large McDonalds or Taco Bell Coffee
2-3 Heaping Tablespoons Instant Coffee
8 Cream containers
8 sugar containers

Enjoy

psdubl07

I forgot to mention that I finished it in the classic French Onion soup style of some bread on top, covered in Gruyere cheese, then under the broiler for a couple minutes.  Think that may have added to the richness?  [;)] [:p]

BigSmoker

For which meal?  The one where my brother user his gasser or when I do some refined smoking?  It's getting kinda warm here but the onion soup does sound awfully good.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

No smokin' for me this weekend--my oldest boy graduates ffrom college on Sunday.  However, my younger boy (21) has offered to make ABTs and smoke some sausages for me for Saturday and/or Monday!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Well I'm grillin over oak some very aged Sirlon Steaks I have~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />No smokin' for me this weekend--my oldest boy graduates ffrom college on Sunday.  However, my younger boy (21) has offered to make ABTs and smoke some sausages for me for Saturday and/or Monday!

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good boys![8D]

I'm reheating about 200# of butt, smokin' a couple of pork loins, 20# of andouille and 12# of chubs. We've got a few friends visiting.[;)][:)][:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

eightball

Brisket(probably a 8-10# flat) in the BS with all the trimmings from the kitchen. Will probably be hollering for help as it gets neareras my first Brisket was beautifal but tough.
Jay
[8]

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I forgot to mention that I finished it in the classic French Onion soup style of some bread on top, covered in Gruyere cheese, then under the broiler for a couple minutes. Think that may have added to the richness?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Psdublo7- I don't know how many times I've made this recipe and I keep meaning to finish it off like you've done. Now I'm going to have to get at it this weekend.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm reheating about 200# of butt, smokin' a couple of pork loins, 20# of andouille and 12# of chubs. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">  Enough with the half-measures, Chez, why don't you max the old Bradley out?[:D][:D]
Tom

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Well I'm grillin over oak some very aged Sirlon Steaks I have~~!

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You frustrate this carinvore.  Tell me, is there anything better looking than a raw well aged Poterhouse.  Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.  

Olds, when you put mine on the grill, medium rare please and don't put a thing on it--I'l add a bit of salt at the table.  And I hope you don't mind, I will use my hands to get to that last little bit around the bone.  RAVE ON!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

simmy

9 racks of Ribs. I am traveling across the great midwest (Omaha to Denver) This will be my smokers first trip.

Steve