6 Racks of Ribs

Started by KevinG, May 06, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

;D :D Too lazy to wait for photobucket to open up the edit screen to rotate them.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DarqMan

HOMERUN!!!  

Did you use the 3-2-1 method?  After my ribs Sunday I'm trying that next time.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

KyNola

Kevin,
Those ribs looked great and I may have a theory for your black rain.  May not be the black rain from the Bradley.  I did ribs for Mother's Day in the MAK and noticed black spots on the lower racks.  Know what it was?  It was the marrow melting and dripping out of the rib bones from the racks above.  Looking at your photo and seeing that the "black rain" is out on the edge of the ribs tends to make me believe it's the same thing.

Your ribs look awesome.
KyNola 

Quarlow

I have to agre with you on that one. I also did ribs on sunday and the bottom rack had it too. I thought it was blood but marrow seems more likely.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Well that's good to know, I haven't experienced that before. Next time I do a six racker, I'll have to do the aluminum foil trick and see if the black rain still shows up, if it does I know it'll be from the ribs and not the smoker.

DarqMan - It was supposed to be the 3 -2 -1  method. It took a lot longer because of a couple of reasons. First I didn't let the ribs warm up before sticking in the smoker and I had 6 racks of cold ribs going in. Second, my family changed times on me so I dropped the temp and extended the cook time. It turned out being more like 5 - 2 - 2 if I remember right.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

db14

Quote from: KyNola on May 10, 2010, 08:48:00 PM
Kevin,
Those ribs looked great and I may have a theory for your black rain.  May not be the black rain from the Bradley.  I did ribs for Mother's Day in the MAK and noticed black spots on the lower racks.  Know what it was?  It was the marrow melting and dripping out of the rib bones from the racks above.  Looking at your photo and seeing that the "black rain" is out on the edge of the ribs tends to make me believe it's the same thing.

Your ribs look awesome.
KyNola 

I had the same exact thing happen to me this last weekend and had the same thoughts.  It was black rain, but it wasn't in the middle of the racks.  It was very sporadic.  Almost positive in was one rack dripping onto the other.

DarqMan

Quote from: KevinG on May 11, 2010, 05:11:13 AM
Well that's good to know, I haven't experienced that before. Next time I do a six racker, I'll have to do the aluminum foil trick and see if the black rain still shows up, if it does I know it'll be from the ribs and not the smoker.

DarqMan - It was supposed to be the 3 -2 -1  method. It took a lot longer because of a couple of reasons. First I didn't let the ribs warm up before sticking in the smoker and I had 6 racks of cold ribs going in. Second, my family changed times on me so I dropped the temp and extended the cook time. It turned out being more like 5 - 2 - 2 if I remember right.

I'm going to try the 3-2-1, or whatever the times end up being next time.  First time with no foil, ribs were awesome.  This past weekend, almost exactly the same steps and they were a little on the dry side.  I'll try foil next time. Thanks.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.