100% Right out of the box!

Started by Hiram, May 09, 2010, 09:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiram

First let me say it's seldom I buy anything mechanical or other wise that I don't have to fine tune or tinker with it. Got my OBS and Auber mid-week, had to wait until Sat. for the bisquettes in the mail. Hooked everthing up this morning, heated the cabinet to 200, did 3 bisquettes to seaon it and shut it off. First trip out with the smoker I figured I'd screw up the meat so I took three pieces of meat I'd trimmed off a full slab ( that flap of meat on the back side of the rib) that doesn't have much fat on it) and some country ribs left over from last summer from the freezer on Friday.
I figured they would be dry when done, I was just using them for sacrifical lambs so to speak. They had rub on them when frozen, so into the smoker at 2:30 they went 210 degrees. I put the meat probe in the country style. Around 3:30 I backed the temp down to 190 ( which may have been a mistake) and rotated the racks at 4:00. The rib pieces looked done at 5:00 so I sauced them and left them in untill 5:30 and FTC them.
The country style stalled at 165 so I sauced them and finally pulled them at 6:15 and FTC them. After 3 hrs I pulled the rib pieces out and opened them on the kitchen counter. Lo and behold they were moist and tender, stared picking at them and the wife shows up ( she had went to bed) then came the dogs. We had three pieces the size of your hand and we stood at the kitchen counter and ate them all. We''ll try the others for supper tomorrow night.

DarqMan

Sounds like you're well on your way to becoming an expert!  I haven't done country style ribs yet but I do like them.  Glad to hear they turned out so well. 
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

hal4uk

That's a pretty decent measure of "GOOD"..
Forget the dining table!  Eat off the counter!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Sounds good Hiram.  So, your "sacrificial lamb" wasn't sacrificed after all.  Hmmmm, lamb.  Gotta do it.

"Forget the dining table!  Eat off the counter!!!"

Why not?  My cats do  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Just a sample of the great stuff to come!  Way to go Hiram!   Pics,  pics,  pics
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Hiram

The country syle turned out rather dry, next time I'll smoke only for two hours then put them in the basket on the grill as I normally do. I have a small temp probe I bought at Lowes that I'm very confident with , I stuck it thru the smoke hole and suspended it near the permanetly mounted Auber probe on the back of the cabinet.
They stayed within 2 degrees of each other all day, I kept going to the patio to check the Auber temp reading (matter of habit using a steel wood fired smoker), it never skipped a beat. This is going to make my smoking days so much simpler, now to figure out what to do with all this hickory stacked in my wood yard. Off to Sams to pick up some baby backs and a couple of butts to continue my education with.

classicrockgriller

As KyNola would say......."Reel Him in, He's Hooked!"

Caneyscud

Quote from: Hiram on May 10, 2010, 01:39:02 PM
now to figure out what to do with all this hickory stacked in my wood yard.

Stacks of hickory......ummmm....uhhhhhh......dang it - that's too far!  5 hours to get wood!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

You're right CRG. jig jig pause.....jig jig pause, set the hook, we've got him. :)