Jerky dumb question

Started by Spenser, May 24, 2005, 01:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spenser

Made my first batch of jerky in the bradley on Sunday.  Used the HiMountain Hickory dry cure, cured for 24 hours and then smoked for about 2-3 hours (until dry) following Jaegers method (rotate, flip front to back every 45 minutes, etc).  My question and issue is, the jerky had no taste.  Just tasted like dry thin steak, no "zing" soy like flavor.  Was my first time using the Hi mountain cure but I expected some type of flavor to the meat.  Any ideas?  Alternative recipes that might me "wet"?  Thanks for any input, board has been great and a lifesaver to a newbie.

whitetailfan

Did you do whole muscle or ground?
Please don't be insulted, but did you use both the cure and the flavour packet?

I have never had any trouble with hi-mtn spices, I really like the way my jerky comes out.  I've tried the hickory, the mesquite, the original, and the Cracked Pepper N' Garlic (my favorite).

If you were looking for a specific flavour, then no, hi-mtn might not be for you, as the flavour has never been overly salty (soy).  But again I've done both whole muscle and ground and it always turns out with some kind of flavour that is obvious.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Spenser

Whitetail-no offense taken. Believe me, I have done dumber things!  No, I used both and I used thinly sliced round steak (what we northerners use for bragiole/stuffed steak).  Cured whole, smoked and then cut it up thinly when it came off the smoker. Guess that I might have expected too much flavor wise but the meat, when done, was very bland and had no taste for lack of a better term.

jaeger

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Cured whole, smoked and then cut it up thinly when it came off the smoker. Guess that I might have expected too much flavor wise but the meat, when done, was very bland and had no taste for lack of a better term.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spenser,
You may have to try a different procedure. Slice the raw meat, season/cure each slice, let meat cure overnight/24 hours, and after that lay out on racks and smoke. Try not to have pieces touching other pieces and follow the amounts of seasoning according to directions. I have always had good luck with high mountain seasoning for jerky.
Good Luck and let us know how your next batch turns out!!![:D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Spenser</i>
<br />I used thinly sliced round steak (what we northerners use for bragiole/stuffed steak).  Cured whole, smoked and then cut it up thinly when it came off the smoker.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Spenser,
Jaeger totally hit the nail on my next response.  If I read you right, you basically cured up and smoked a whole steak and then cut it into the jerky slices.  This would definitely kill the flavour.

I take the whole muscle pieces and cut into about 3/8 inch stips.  Lie those flat, and then sprinke on the cure.  You want to have the largest surface area being flavoured.  The way you did it, from what I can tell, is that if you are looking at the flattest part of the jerky, then the spices are only on the outside edge.

I think this is your problem.  Check your technique and then check back in on us with the results.

HTH...

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Spenser

OK, I must beg everyone's thanks for my stupidity.  I did what I do with smoked cheese-passed judgment too quickly without letting it "sit" for a day or so after smoking.  Had some last night and it was most excellent!  Thank you all for the quick response, love this board!

Spenser

And yes, you both interpreted my technique correctly-I seasoned the whole piece of meat and it actually worked pretty well.  Up here in upstate NY we can get the round steak sliced across the steak so that it is about 1/8 inch thick.  Makes it really easy to work with when curing.  Looks like it worked...will try some more and report back AFTER I let it sit for awhile

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Spenser.  As you can tell, it's a great place for info and just havin' some good conversation.  It's always good to have another North East BSer on board.  What part of upstate NY do you hail from--I was born in Rochester and still have family in Canandaigua.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Spenser

Other side of the state, live outside of Saratoga.  Spend time out your way, working on a project in Skaneateles Falls and get to The Glen as often as possible

Habanero Smoker

I believe you are just southwest of Saratoga Springs. I go to Saratoga Springs a few times during the year. I go to SPAC, never been to either race track. Nice country up there. I live about 90 miles south east of Saratoga Springs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Remington

The only High Mountain seasoning I've tried and liked was the wild river trout brine and even it really had no flavor. I've tried a couple of the jerky seasonings and they had <b>no flavor </b>at all. Type conyeager in your search engin and give them a try. So far I've loved all the seasoning from there.

Remington