Going to start another back bacon

Started by RAF128, May 10, 2010, 02:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Yesterday my children came home to make brunch for their mother and everyone else.   Everything was ready and I though some back bacon would go good.   Well...... I couldn't find any in the freezer.   I'm all out :o.   So this afternoon I went out and picked up 10 lb pork loin.    Gonna get started a little later.    It's going to take over a week but I should have a fresh batch by the long weekend.

Quarlow

Hey RAF I finally got the cure so I will be making a batch soon too. They have pork loins on sale here right now so I will go tomorrow and get a couple of them.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RAF128

What's your sale price?    I paid $4.50/lb.    Cheaper than side ribs, pork shoulder and brisket but a little pricey when you consider the price of pork.

Quarlow

I'll have to see the price cause I can't remember. But I will be there today.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Wow this is going to hurt then. I just picked up 2 whole pork loins at $1.89 a lbs. at Save-on-foods. So RAF what recipe are you using.

OBS
BBQ

RAF128

Canadian Bacon,   from the recipe site.   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?311-Canadian-Bacon
I've used it before and it turned out great.

Quarlow

Thank you I am going to start some very soon. Like today or tomorrow.

OBS
BBQ

RAF128

Here it is, day 4 or is it 3½ ;).   Just came in from the garage and turn the meat.  I've notice that each piece is firming up nicely but there is still undesolved brown sugar in each bag.   Lot of liquid but still some undesolved sugar.

RAF128

The bacon came out of the fridge today.    It's been rinsed, soaked and is now sitting uncovered in the fridge.    Tomorrow I smoke.

Quarlow

Can't wait to see the pics. Mine are in the fridge til saturday.

OBS
BBQ

RAF128

Sorry, but there won't be any pictures.   I left my camera at the cabin this past weekend.   I wasn't thinking :'(

RAF128

A quick update.    I'm just over an hour into the smoke.   Had the meat out on the counter for just over 2 hrs and IT was into the low 50's.    I've got 3 pieces and the thickest piece was on top.   The other 2 were just below it.   They are all about about the same weight but one piece is thicker.    The IT on the lower 2 is really climbing.   107 and 105.   The thicker piece is at 88.   I rotated the racks.   It's a real tangled mess in the smoker with all the cables from the probes.   I'm just guessing but I think the IT are going to slow their rapid increases soon.   This is sure going faster than I expected.

Quarlow

Just my opinion but I would think the thick one should be lowest. Closer to the heat. Good luck RAF.

OBS
BBQ

OU812

RAF

Are they done yet, are they done yet, are they done yet, are they done yet? ;D

RAF128

Yup all done.    The one that increased in temp the fastest was the last to get to temp.  Took them out, and tented.   They're cooling and will be wrapped in plastic wrap a littler later and then they'll have a nice rest in the fridge for a couple of days.   They look good and it's to bad I forgot my camera at my cabin or you'd be looking at them now ;).    The first 2 were done in about 3¾ hrs and the last one 4¼hrs.   I'll slice them on Thursday and the first test will be breakfast at the lake on Friday morning.