Which probe do I trust?

Started by Hiram, May 13, 2010, 07:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiram

I have the Auber PID with two probes, one is mounted on back of cabinet. On my first ribs I used a Taylor thermometer that I've used on my grill (I trust it) in the area around the mounted one. They stayed within 1-2 degrees the entire smoke. My second smoke yesterday I suspended the PID meat probe by the mounted probe and got an actual 10 degrees difference all day.
Would the meat probe read higher because of the heat from the second rack in the vicinity or am I confused and the meat probe shouldn't read ambient temps like the mounted one.

classicrockgriller

If you look at the two probes you will see the meat is designed to a point and the cabinet is blunt (more surface area to get a reading)

Some people do use the meat probes on their mavericks for a temp probe.

Habanero Smoker

Although to the touch the metal feels hotter to the touch then just sticking your hand in the smoker without touching anything, the metal and air temperatures should be the same or very close to each other.

Was there any meat located closer to the mounted probe then the meat probe? If so you can get readings up to 40°F degrees difference with a probe that is closer to the surface of the meat; especially at the initial stage of the smoke; when the meat is very moist and cool.

Or you may want to test the meat probe for accuracy; since the mounted one may be too difficult to test, and it since your Taylor was consistent with the PID; you may want to test your Taylor probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hiram

Yep there was a 1\2 slab of ribs on the rack just over the permanetly mounted one, which as you've stated might be the cause. I've done three racks this week trying to get an acceptable one, the last one came out pretty good but I'm trying to not foil them in the smoker, just tastes better to me.
The reason I asked about the probes is I plan on doing my first butt sometime after the weekend. I guess I'll use the pid probe and Taylor side by side in the butt and check those readings, thanks for the info. 

Habanero Smoker

It's good that you are doing trial runs. I mainly smoke/cook spareribs and don't foil. I find they have enough marbling in them, and when cooked right I like them much better then baby backs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

The temp won't have to be so percise when doing Butts.

They are very forgiving.

Hiram

It's hard to find full size spareribs here except in the packers bag such at Sam's and other places in the area. Out of the bag at the speciality butcher shops they are prohibitively expensive but I'm going to bite the bullet next week and get a rack. I've cooked these before on my wood smoker and they don't seem to need as much time as the bagged ones.
So we''ll put in bagged baby's and regular slab and unbagged baby's and regular slab, my money's on the unbagged ones for less cooking time and flavor. Stay tuned for the result. Has anyone posted a review of the fan kit from Back Yard & Pool.

classicrockgriller

Yard & Pool has a fan kit? For the Bradley?