Which slicer to use for bacon

Started by SmokingAtHome, May 14, 2010, 11:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokingAtHome

Im going to cure some bacon and I was wondering what type of slicer do you bacon guys use to get uniform slices.

Thanks
Everything tastes better smoked

OU812

I use this one, aint nothin to brag about but it works.

SmokingAtHome

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

I saw a guy that slices his pastrami with a hand help veggie mandolin.

It did a great job.

classicrockgriller

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 14, 2010, 04:06:58 PM
This is a great buy, not sure if the sale is still on. I think it is.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=6324&src=GoogleBase&cam=Products&kw=6324

If you go to Home Shopping Network on line you can get the Chef's Choice for the same $99 but you get the second non-serated blade included for free. Plus you can do easy pay and pay in 3 installments.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SmokingAtHome

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I'll post pictures when I get the Hillbilly Bacon going. I just ordered the Morton's Tender Quick today. Can't wait to get started.

squirtthecat

Quote from: GusRobin on May 14, 2010, 09:02:41 PM
If you go to Home Shopping Network on line you can get the Chef's Choice for the same $99 but you get the second non-serated blade included for free. Plus you can do easy pay and pay in 3 installments.

Ditto.   

This is the one I bought.  Works great, and that is a good price, and includes the non-serrated blade as well..   

TTNuge

The more I use my Chef's Choice the more I hate it.  Unless the meat is almost completely frozen it tends to not cut through cleanly and creates a "flap" of meat that is a pain in the butt.  Not sure if the non-serrated blade would work better or not, for now I got a slicer knife to try next time instead.

squirtthecat

I've found the non-serrated blade works much better than the other one.   I've got another slicer up in the attic (Hello, Craigslist..) with a serrated blade, and I had the same problem with it that you are having now.

GusRobin

I that if I am getting a flap of meat when cutting, if I push it through slower it usually solves that problem.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I get the flap. I call it "snack"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

My cheapie slicer has a serrated blade and it does that,

but I just flip the meat every 5 to 10 cuts and I don't have the problem.