Fire proof/resistant Bradley enclosure ideas

Started by drano, May 14, 2010, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I am one of the few who has had a fire. It was a result of making many ABT's with cheap fatty bacon. The heater was on high and the fat was melting from the bacon at a great rate. It was hitting the V Tray in the heater element area and igniting. All I could do was to turn the element off, turn off the air supply and wait. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR!

I was there when it happened and it did little damage to the smoker. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE RESULTS WOULD HAVE BEEN IF I WAS NOT THERE! I think that it would have toasted the Bradley. It was outside in an enclosure so it would not have done damage to the house.

Next time I would keep the ABT's father away from the back wall, use with less fatty bacon and make fewer ABT's at one time.

Brad

BuyLowSellHigh

Thanks Sailor & Mike for addressing the insurance question/  Good stuff!   :)
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Mr Walleye

Habs

That's a good point. I usually keep a 1" putty knife by my smoker. Anytime I'm checking things or refilling the water bowl I always check the V-pan for any accumulation, if there is any I give it a quick scrape.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

Quote from: Mr Walleye on May 20, 2010, 12:34:19 PM
Habs

That's a good point. I usually keep a 1" putty knife by my smoker. Anytime I'm checking things or refilling the water bowl I always check the V-pan for any accumulation, if there is any I give it a quick scrape.

Mike

Me too.