Research and questions on wings and drumsticks

Started by EZ Smoker, May 14, 2010, 09:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

I got those wings at Albertson's grocery store.   They were packaged by Sanderson Farms.   Not sure what I paid for them, but they weren't expensive.   I guess I didn't know what a deal I was getting.   
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

EZ Smoker

My wing experience brought up 2 more questions:

1.  When we put the wings on the grill, then closed the lid, WOOSH... we heard the fire kick up too high.  Deb opened the grill and got the wings that were in danger out of the fire before damage was done, but of course, this left the other side of those few wings less than prefectly crisped.   Most of the wings weren't affected by the flame-up, but 7 or 8 were.  Why did I have a fire?   Because I coated the wings in olive oil before smoking?    What should I do in the future, skip the oil?  use less oil?  just stand back when Deb puts them on the grill? 

2.   If I used the same exact recipe (olive oil, Chachere's, 2 hours of apple, cook until juice runs clear, then grill for crispness) for chicken drumsticks, would that work just as well, or are there relevant differences between wings and drumsticks?

Thanks for the help.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

BuyLowSellHigh

If I understand correctly, you grilled after 2 hours of smoking.  If that's correct the flash was more likely from the rendered chicken fat than the olive oil (I suspect most of the olive oil was already gone after the smoke).  But, either will get a grill flash going - both are fats/oils and burn well at high temps.  It often an issue when grilling chicken at high temp, especially wings.  They have a lot of fat (that's why we love 'em) and as it renders it drips.  Tips - avoid grilling directly over the high flame area - if you have multiple burners leave a flame free area, maybe between burners and do the chicken there (it's the heat you need).  Then the drips don't find the flame right under them.  I have also used the move it fast technique - dump 'em over a flame then as soon as it starts to crackle move 'em to a flame free zone.

ArnieM mentioned he does grilled wings, so he probably has some better tips.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

OU812

Looks like I'm late for the show.  :D

Your wings look grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

When finishing on the grill I leave the lid open and keep an eye on them, movin and flippin as needed.

Lately I've been using the BE and have noticed the ones on the out side get done first. I just pull the basket and flip the outer ones to the inside and the inside to the out, drop back in and watch till they drip clear juice.

If YOU like the way YOUR wings turned out I wouldnt change a thing but keep a better eye on them when there on the grill.

I've had wings go from almost done to burnt in the time it takes to get a cold one.

hal4uk

Quote from: OU812 on May 17, 2010, 01:06:52 PM
I've had wings go from almost done to burnt in the time it takes to get a cold one.

UH HUH!

Long tongs.  Fierce attention.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

You may want to try this to avoid flare ups. If you're cooking on coals, after the coals are hot scoot them in a dognut shape and place the wings in the center hole area. If on a gas keep the center flames off and place them in the center. Another method is to put a pan of liquid under them, so there is no chance of flare up.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

I can do 'em on the Weber gasser, moderate heat, 400 or so.  Almost naked, maybe a little chipotle powder, no oil.  Yeah, ya gotta watch 'em and rotate.  The center part of the grill is the hottest.  A little sauce and a couple of flips at the end - good to go.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.