Heating Problem - Can't get over 200F

Started by Adam23, May 15, 2010, 11:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam23

I'm having a weird problem and it is boggling my mind. Just bought my OBS and PID a few weeks ago and have done several smokes already without any issue.  Trying to do a few racks of ribs and the unit won't go over 200F.  I checked my plugs which seem fine, the element is glowing (though not super bright or anything), vent is open, etc.

Any ideas?

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum Adam.

Do you have your Bradley plugged into an extention cord or is the circuit you are using

being used by something else in the house.

Sounds like it's not getting enough power.

Habanero Smoker

If power in not the problem. When you state your vent is open; how wide? If it is more then half open, try closing it to half or 1/4 opening. Just make sure that there is no smoke backing out of the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DarqMan

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 15, 2010, 01:29:01 PM
If power in not the problem. When you state your vent is open; how wide? If it is more then half open, try closing it to half or 1/4 opening. Just make sure that there is no smoke backing out of the generator.

What does it mean if smoke is backing out of the generator?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DarqMan on May 15, 2010, 01:34:02 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 15, 2010, 01:29:01 PM

What does it mean if smoke is backing out of the generator?

It is not good for the generator.

Open the vent till the smoke stops coming out from down around the gen.

RAF128

Is there meat in the smoker when it won't go over 200?   How much meat?   I've noticed with mine that depending on the size of a piece of meat the temp does not get up to where you set the PID.   The closer you get to the target IT the high the temp in the smoker.    Try and see what temp you get when the smoker is empty

BuyLowSellHigh

How have you loaded your OBS - where is your PID probe relative to the ribs?  Do you have anything else on the racks (drip pan, etc)?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here