Finally added the 2nd 500 watt element

Started by Aether, May 15, 2010, 04:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aether

Took me about 30 minutes to add the 2nd element following the excellent directions posted by Habs (Thanks!).  Ran the smoker last night to see how fast it would heat up.  Went from ambient (65F) to 262F in 12 minutes!  WOW!  30 pounds of butts going in tomorrow.  If you have been hesitating to do this mod, get off your butt and JUST DO IT!!!

Habanero Smoker

That second element makes a world of difference, and really cuts down on the time of a long smoke.

The thanks has to go to Mr. Walleye (Mike) for coming up with the idea and letting us post it on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I have everything I need to do mine now. Just got to get around to doing it.  :D

Aether

Mr. Walleye---THANK YOU!!!

When I put the 30# of butts in the smoker this AM (took 10 minutes to preheat from 52F to 230F!) I used boiling H2O in the pan, the butts had an IT of ~45F. The temp dropped to 203F and recovered to 230F in 14 minutes!  OAT is currently 57F.  Pensrock---DO NOT delay on this mod!  I have not yet used the PID to control the temps.  That is the next project.

FLBentRider

FWIW - I would NOT run two elements without a PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Be careful running it without the PID. Without the PID or other temperature controlling device I would not leave it unmonitored.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Aether

I agree that the PID is essential for this mod to be used safely.  I will be using the PID from now on, just finished going through the instructions.  I finished the butts and did a load of ABTs in my first run without the PID.  From now on, the PID will be used.  Thanks for your help and concern.