BACON

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAMMY C

Hello I'm a new member to the Bradley family, my question is I would like to smoke my own bacon, are there any sugestions on wood types, smoking times and temps, and seasonings and or brines[?]. Any tips would be appreciated.[8D]

NorthernBro

I too am a new member but have found putting the whole package of bacon in the unti with a cold smoke for about 2hrs does the ticket.  I use mesquite most of the time but have used maple also.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SAMMY C</i>
<br />Hello I'm a new member to the Bradley family, my question is I would like to smoke my own bacon, are there any sugestions on wood types, smoking times and temps, and seasonings and or brines[?]. Any tips would be appreciated.[8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

NorthernBro

I too am a new member but have found putting the whole package of bacon in the unti with a cold smoke for about 2hrs does the ticket.  I use mesquite most of the time but have used maple also.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SAMMY C</i>
<br />Hello I'm a new member to the Bradley family, my question is I would like to smoke my own bacon, are there any sugestions on wood types, smoking times and temps, and seasonings and or brines[?]. Any tips would be appreciated.[8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SAMMY C

Thanks Northenbro for the tip- but I was loking to do my own bacon from scratch.I was on another BBQ forum and found out about a company that sells a dry rub just for making bacon you should check out. it's called buckboard bacon rub. What you use is boston butt roast and cover it in the rub for 10 to 12 days then smoke it. The instruction are very detailed. I bought 2 packages for under $10 and it will do up to fifty lbs. of meat. The other people at the forum swear by it, I'll try it and let you know how it goes, can't wait. Here's the web site www.himtnjerky.com  the company is hi mountain jerky inc. they have load of stuff for smoking[8D]

SAMMY C

[8D]Just an update on the homemade smoked bacon--WOW it was the best bacon I ever tasted, no comparison to the store bought pork belly stuff you buy at the market with all there preservitives. I thought I screwed up, I left the meat to brine for about 20 days or more in the frig but it came out awesome and the flavor was intense. I smoked the meat in maple and to an enternal temp of 140 deg I then pulled it, cooled it, and then stuck it in the freezer for about 45 min for easier slicing and then cooked it like I woould any other piece of bacon. There's nothing like slicing bacon as thick or thin as you want. The family and friends can't get enough. It's just about time to do another 20lbs or more, it goes that fast. One extra thing I did was to cover the entire tops of the butts with cracked pepper before smokeing just like the gourmet bacon you see at  the market--The BLT's were out of this world..If any of you try this let me know what you think !! [:)]

Richard Pearce

<font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">My bacon's in the cure now!
Would you use Maple again?
Roughly what temperature did you use and how long did you smoke it to get to 140 deg?[:p]</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue">
Richard Pearce

SAMMY C

[8D] I replied to you in a an e-mail but I will address the forum as well- I like maple but if I had to use another wood it would probably be hickory. I let my cure go for about 20 days and it came out great.I set my temp to 180 to 200 degs., I use an instant read thermometer to be accurate. It took about 4 hrs. - It depends on the size of the roast. I hope this helps..

Chez Bubba

I'd bet pecan would be tasty, as well as oak. But if I were to try it blind, I'd be inclined to follow Sammy's maple idea. In my mind, maple + pork = yummm!

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Sammy,

My bacon has been in the fridge for about 5 days now.  (man, I can't wait till I smoke these butts!)  I have them in clear plastic containers.  I have noticed that there is alot of clear fluid in the containers.  Should I drain this fluid out now or wait till I turn the meat in 5 or 6 days, or just leave it alone???  You were correct, the directions from High Mountain were great.

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Regforte

Don't drain it, just flip it over now and then so it cures evenly. I've got some pork belly curing now myself. Great stuff.

Richard Pearce

Just remember to rinse it as per the instructions before smoking: I forgot once! Salty!
Richard Pearce

MallardWacker

<font color="red">This Bacon was a unexpexted use for my BS.</font id="red">

I smoked my butts this past Saturday.  Man alive, this experimant came out purfect!  You are right, best bacon in the world.  Nice meaty, flavorful, less fat.  BLT's, I'm spoiled.  The directions are to simple, almost can't make a mistake.

Used hickory,  probly try pecan next time.  Does anyone have the knowledge to sugar cure?  

Thanks folks for all your help with this!

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

DLT

I was browsing through the discussion on home made bacon and was wondering if there is a dry rub or wet cure recipe that you can make at home.

trout

I have a smoke-cooking book that has both a dry rub and a pickle brine recipe for bacon and other cured meats, but they use lotssss of salt.  My advice would be to order a tub of bacon cure premixed.  They use curing salt instead of so much table salt resulting in a finished product that is not overly salty. Eldonsausage.com sells a mix that is very cheap per pound.  Or the Buckboard bacon cure that someone else suggested is available at sporting goods stores.  I have used both pork butt and pork bellies.  I think the pork belly makes better bacon.  Not as lean, but I think it cooks up better because of that. Yum Yum[^]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

MallardWacker

Just a note, I have found a place that has a veriety of reasonable priced curing items for bacon.  It's called "Butcher and Packer"
http://www.butcher-packer.com/  

It has both your basic cure along with maple and sugar types.  I have ordered the two sugar types a couple of days ago. Let you know how it goes.

As far as making your own cure here is a web site that expains it well along with some home made mixes.  It seems to be important on how this is done.  I opt for the mixes.  This place is called "ask the meatman".  (thats original)
http://www.askthemeatman.com/

SmokeOn,

mski

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas