Beef Jerky

Started by Wilbur, July 17, 2003, 04:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

I just got a Bradley smoker and want to try making some beef jerky in it. I've never made it before and there's nothing about making it in the instruction booklet or on the Brdley website [?]

Any suggestions where I can find a recipe, what kinda wood to use, smoker settings etc?
What kinda meat should I buy?
Thanks
Will

fredrock

Hello Wilbur.I've tried Beef Jerky As well as Deer & Moose.
There is many types of marinades to use . I have made my own after trying others. I prefer using Hickory or Mesquite for the smoke.Try checking out the following web site "Just Game Recipes".
FredRock

Wilbur

Thanks Fred, I found that site but I wonder if I need to use liquid smoke if I use the smoker? Probably not I guess.

Been finding a few recipes on the web, but not sure what to set the smoker on, haven't used it yet.
What cut of beef you recomend? Some sorta roast cut into slices?

Thanks

obie51

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wilbur</i>
<br />Thanks Fred, I found that site but I wonder if I need to use liquid smoke if I use the smoker? Probably not I guess.

Been finding a few recipes on the web, but not sure what to set the smoker on, haven't used it yet.
What cut of beef you recomend? Some sorta roast cut into slices?

Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

obie51

the best beef to make jerky from is london broil. you want meat that is fat free.

Dean

I use any lean roast like Sirloin tip, etc.  I have also done many wild meats like Deer, Moose, Elk, etc.  The trick is to freeze the roast to almost hard.  It will be a little sharp on the hands with the cold, however, it is acceptable.  Cut the meat *with the grain* about 1/4" thick.  If you cut it too thin, you will end up with beef crispy instead of jerky, so err on the side of too thick.

For Jerky's I like a dry cure since the object is to dry and smoke the meat.  Brines have a tendancy to penetrate the meat with too much salt, which will give the jerky the appearance of white talc on the surface after hot smoking.  I use commercially available cures from "Wild West Seasonings"  You can find them here:  http://www.wildwestseasonings.com/.

Place the strips on the racks, and put in the smoker for about 2-3 hours of smoke.  Mesquite and Hickory are best for beef jerky.  Temperature should be as close to 150F as you can get it.  After smoke is finished, open the top vents fully, and continue to dry the meat until it is the consistency that you want.  Tasting is the fun part as you test!  But during smoking, just leave the door closed, and keep the vents open maybe 1/4-1/3 open.

You should have great results.  Let us know how it turned out!