Ribs

Started by LarryKarene, September 21, 2003, 05:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryKarene

Has anyone had much luck with ribs in the Bradley?  The recipe booklet is very limited.  I am anxious to know how it has worked for ribs with and wihtout a dry rub if used.  Any information shared would be greatly appreciated.  I just received the Bradley as a Birthday gift and want to put it to use.  Will be smoking salmon soon - any suggestions???  [:)]Thanks

Chez Bubba

Larry,

I've made bunches of tasty ribs in the Bradley. Pretty much it will smoke just about anything very well. The best advice I could give you is purchase two items.

1) A digital thermometer  with a probe so you can monitor the internal temperature of the meat. This takes all the guesswork out.

2) The book "Smoke & Spice" by Bill & Cheryl Jamison. If you only ever own one book on smoking, this has to be it!

Hope you come to enjoy using your smoker as much as we do. If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to give us a call.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SAMMY C

[8D] Larry --Chez Bubba has some good advice, I could not live with out my digital thermometer with alarm. I use a dry rub put on heavy and massage it into the the meat and then wrap in plastic wrap over nite and then smoke it in mesquite or hickory at about 180 or 190 degrees external--LOW AND SLOW [:o)]

Mando

Ribs come out great in the Bradley. Slather with mustard then put a dry rub on over night. You can get a Thermometer here
http://store.yahoo.com/candochefs/polcomtim.html
I have a Bradley and love it. Did everything but fish so far and all was incredible.

George

Larry,
Here is the definitve answer to pork ribs. I adapted it from a number of sources including a published interview with Famous Dave, the rib guy in the midwest. (Check his website.)

1. Start with backribs, the leaner the better.
2. Remove the inner membrane.  This is not essential, but it allows the marinade to work better and makes a better presentation of the finished meat.
3. Marinate overnite with a liberal coating of italian dressing. (I use Wishbone.)
4. Next morning, wipe off the dressing with paper towels and sprinkle on your favorite rub.
5. Smoke at 215 degrees until done which takes about 4-5 hours. (A digital thermometer is well worth the $20 investment.)  

Another good invesment for the serious rib smoker is some of those racks that hold the ribs upright, available from most grill places.

Don't worry about preheating, the ribs will soak up smoke while you come up to temperature.

Note that you did not prebake in an oven so fat may need to be dealt with, watch for it!

6. They can now be eaten, frozen for later eating, or finished by slathering on your favorite BBQ sauce and giving them just enough time on your grill to dry and carmelize the sauce.

Enjoy!

julian

Just did a batch of side ribs, plain old salt and pepper for 12 hours in the fridge, then in the smoker (preheated to 200) for a little over 4 hours with the top vent open just enough to stop the smoke leaking from the generator, spraying with 50/50 olive oil and malt vinegar hourly, for the last hour i brushed on the Presidents Choice hickory bbq sauce, tasted wonderful, good smoke ring and moist,
Took the kids all of 10 minutes to demolish 2 racks each, .

Julian...

Ferdbird

So to what internal temperature do you take the ribs to and for how log to you hold that temp?  I am doing my first smoker full now and have been smoking at 150 degrees now for 4 1/2 hours.  Internal meat temp is 145.  What next?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SAMMY C</i>
<br />[8D] Larry --Chez Bubba has some good advice, I could not live with out my digital thermometer with alarm. I use a dry rub put on heavy and massage it into the the meat and then wrap in plastic wrap over nite and then smoke it in mesquite or hickory at about 180 or 190 degrees external--LOW AND SLOW [:o)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">