BACON

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zipper

I've been reading this forum for a while, and am about to try bacon for the first time.  Do you smoke it for the full time in the smoker, or just part of the time?

MallardWacker

Zipper,

If you use the directions from BuckBoard Bacon it will probly take you around four hours depending on the cut of meat and temp.  My last batch took a little less than four hours.  I normally don't smoke ANYTHING for more than that anyway.  Those directions tell you not to start the smoke for 45 minutes after you put the meat in.  I suggest that you start with BuckBoard first, it's nearly fool proof.
Have fun and let us know how it goes.  This thread has alot of good info to follow.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Zipper

MW,
Thanks,  Got it curin' now.  Let you know how it turns out.

Oldman

Crap I should have never read this thread.... j/k

My wife loves beacon but she is very limited on fat intake. The Ole Cholesterol story....

Are you, folks, purchasing a full loin or center cut?
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

snapper39

Olds What they typically use for Buck Board bacon is butt. I have some curing now. I also have an entire 10 lb loin curing, some I will smoke and some i will roll in corn meal and make athentic Canadian bacon. Cant wait.
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

MallardWacker

Olds,

The LOIN thing is right on for the wife(unless zero intake really means zero).  When you fry it in a pan you nearly have to add oil.  Also the steaks on the grill is just down right wild, my favorite way to consume the the favored piece of hog.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Cold Smoke

I've done 6 or 8 butts so far and 2 centercut loins with the buckboard cure- both are very good but the loin is quite a bit leaner and should be OK for those with cholesterol concerns. Like MW says you might have to grease the griddle a little with that cut of meat. I've not yet tried the maple cure mentioned here but will with the next batch- sounds like a pretty tasty tweek to already proven recipe.

Achin' for bacon!

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Well I order the stuff today.... Let's see with shiping and curing for 20 days it looks like next month.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SAMMY C

Back when I started this thread (Aug of 2003) there were few participants in the forum Chez being the main one, it's nice to see this forum grow. I appreciate all the feed back and tips on my bacon adventure as well as my cheese thread. Let the communication continue it helps us all [8D]