BACON

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout

Trying some of that well thought of buckboard bacon cure stuff this week.  Have a whole pork loin curing in the fridge now.  Planning on smoking it whole and then slicing it into slabs to grill as smoked pork chops later.  Will have to wait 10 days though first for the cure to do its thing.[:(]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

MallardWacker

You da man trout.  Let us know how it goes.  What kind of pucks are you going to use?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Cold Smoke

MW- Thanks for the link for the maple cure. I'll order some and give that a try. I've prepared a butt with the Hi Mountain this weekend and will try that in 10 days or so. I'm also gonna try that with a whole loin and cut into chops. Mmmmm....

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Cold & Trout,

I accually cured my bacon for about 20 days.  A little more flavor.  One thing, no matter how long you cure it for, wash that puppy real well and soke it like the directions say.  

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Cold & Trout,

I accually cured my bacon for about 20 days.  A little more flavor.  One thing, no matter how long you cure it for, wash that puppy real well and soke it like the directions say.  

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">
I gave mine 20 days and it would have been perfect IF I'd remembered to wash it!! I was able to fix it by rinsing and soaking after slicing but, this time, they'll get a loooong soak![:p]

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

snapper39

Richard I see you are from Stoufville, I am from Caledon, just north of Brampton. Have you found anywhere in the GTA or Ontario to get supplies. i.e cures, sausage casings and bisquits for your Bradley?

Snapper

snapper39

Sorry about the second reply, however I have been studying everyones responses and am a little confused on two items. The bacon we are used buying the local grocer fels as if it is cured, cold smoked and then sliced. Wouldn't bringing it up to 140-145 before pulling it be in fact partially cooking it?
In Canada I have never seen anything at the butcher called a Boston Butt, anyone from Canada know what cut of meat this is called?

Thanks lookin forward to startin

Chez Bubba

Snapper.

Boston butt is basically a pork shoulder. We refer to the "butt" of a pig as a "ham". Doesn't make any sense to me either! Both taste great though![:D]

When we refer to pulled pork, it is a non-cured butt (shoulder), dry-rubbed or marinated, then cooked to temp slowly over 10-12 hours & then shredded. You then can add sauce.....if your dry rub wasn't good enough.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snapper39</i>
<br />
In Canada I have never seen anything at the butcher called a Boston Butt, anyone from Canada know what cut of meat this is called?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[/navy]
Hi Snapper
The Boston Butt has, strangely enough, nothing to do with the rear end of the hog; it is the front shoulder! My A&P has Boston Butts in the counter or you can go and ask and they'll do a butt with the bone in or de-bone it at a lot more cost; if you're handy with the butcher knife do it yourself!
Anyway, as you'll see elsewhere in this forum I am very pleased with the Hi Mountain bacon cure and I had it within 5 days of ordering.
Getting late now, if I think of anything else I'll let you know!

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

snapper39

Bubba and Richard Thanks:
I get the difference between pulled pork and the curing process for making bacon.
Still a little confused over the reason the internal temp is brought up to 140-145? Isnt this partially cooking it? dont understand why the butts or loins wouldnt be cured then cold smoked?

Snapper

trout

You are correct, the bacon you buy in the store generally is not smoked to that high of temp.  I believe the instructions for the bacon cure suggest this temp as a safegaurd against tricinosis.  I smoke mine with just the heat of the smoke generator.  But then I like my bacon cooked good and crisp, so I have no worry about it not being fully cooked before eating it.  If you like your bacon "wiggly", you should probably smoke it to the temp they suggest in the cures.[;)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

snapper39

Richard MW and Chez Thanks for helping this rookie out.
Ordered the high Mountain, bought some loins at No Frills on sale for cheap. I am still about a week away from having my fridge fully ready to go. I'll keep you guys posted, but I am startin to feels like Pavlovs dog hear. salivating during all this discussion[}:)]

MallardWacker

Snapper,

The salivating thing, get use to it. It's a common reaction if you hang around here much.

I subscribe to two Forums, one is for a bunch of retentive engineers that deal with air bag deployment and the other is this one.. Take a guess on which I make sure I read every post.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />I subscribe to two Forums, one is for a bunch of retentive engineers that deal with air bag deployment and the other is this one.. Take a guess on which I make sure I read every post.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">MW, That's funny!!!!![:D][:D]

Why is the mental picture "Revenge of the Nerds" vs "Animal House"?

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Man, you gota love it...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas