BACON

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLT

trout&MallardWacker
Just a note to thank you for your help with the bacon cure and brines.I think that I will take your advice trout and order a premixed cure.Hopefully directions come with it as I am new to the whole smoking deal.I may be looking for furyher advice in the near future.

DLT
Red Deer,Alberta,Canada

MallardWacker

DLT,

The cure mix from Hi Mountain Seasoning has the BEST insrtructions.  It has a slick full color set of instructions that show you from start to finish, such things like deboning the the butt and so forth.

Here is a hint that will help out with the wife factor having large hunks of meat in the fridge.  Go down and buy those cheap reusable/throw away plastic containers at Wally World.  They make one that fits a large butt just fine.  It makes the fridge issue nice and clean.  One last thing, I bought my butts from Sams, they come two to a package and they cost about 9-10$ for both.  It seemed just enough meat to handle.

Hopes everything works out as good as mine did.

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Richard Pearce

<font color="navy"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Hi DLT
I can highly recommend the Buckboard from http://www.himtnjerky.com/. The instructions were beautifully printed in colour (even though I forgot to read them through after the cure was finished! qv) and they shipped to Ontario in about 5 days with no fuss.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="navy"> [:)]
Richard Pearce

DLT

MallardWacker and Richard Pearce,
I just ordered some Buckboard cure today .I can't wait to try it. Wnen you talk about smoking butts,is this like a ham when it is done.Because the bacon I have only had has been side bacon or back bacon.

MallardWacker

You are right it's kind of like a ham.  I described it as "it looks like ham but smells like bacon when you cook it".  If you are looking for the same type bacon you get at the store, get some pork belly.  I am happy with the butt type do to the fact of a whole lot less fat.  Another thing we did is that I cut the butt into about 1 half inch steaks and put them on the grilled.  Kind of like grilling smoked pork chops.  Very good indeed.

You can do this.

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

trout

Bacon can also be made from ground meat like the store bought "sizzlelean" stuff.  This works good if you are a hunter and want to use some of that deer trim.  Just grind it up and mix along with a little pork (venison is a little too lean alone).  Then I formed it into a square a couple inches thick kind of like a meatloaf.  Next I measure out the amount of bacon rub that my mix calls for according to how many pounds I am making.  Spinkle the rub evenly over all sides and press it in.  Wrap tight in plastic wrap and form a nice square again.  Then its wait a week to cure.  After a week it will hold its shape very well.  Then smoke it according to the directions of the bacon rub you use.  It becomes a solid form and will not fall through the grate.  It will fry up crispy if you cut it really thin, but I like it a little chewy so I go thicker. If you have some scraps, give it a try.[:)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">  Another thing we did is that I cut the butt into about 1 half inch steaks and put them on the grilled.  Kind of like grilling smoked pork chops.  Very good indeed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font color="navy"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Thanks, great idea that I hadn't thought to do!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="navy">[:p][:)]

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Cold Smoke

I smoked a 4# pork loin last night after having cured it with Hi Mountain's buckboard bacon cure for the last 12 days. It turned out GREAT! [:D][:D] I treated it to 1 1/2 hours of maple smoke and pulled it once it hit the 145 mark- then let it cool. This was my first attempt at homemade bacon and definately not my last. I've already got orders from family members coming in. Next time I'll try to douse it with some maple syrup during the last hour or so.

For those who haven't tried it- giv'er a go- you won't regret it.

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Cold Smoke,

You are so right about the bacon.  I love it, I feel like that stupid "beggin strip" commercial.  I used the Buck Board also, it's too easy.  The pork loin sounds like an excelent idea.  I almost got 2 butts today but decided not to.  I'm glad I did, i'm going to try the loin deal.  I have purchased maple sugar cure and some maple pucks to do this next go around.

What did your meat look like?  My bacon has come out with a very nice red type ham cured look.  It really looks great.

Keep us updated on the bacon adventures.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Akansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker:

My loin came out nice and brown on the outside and had that same red cured ham look you mentioned. I fried some up for lunch today and had some people drop in - well I tell ya, they were all over it like a buzzard on a gutwagon. So off to the store I go to get some more- too bad it takes 10 days to cure. From now on I'll just have to ensure I've got one on the go at all times.

Where did you find that maple cure you speak of? I was thinking of using maple syrup but was kinda concerned things would get a little sticky.[?] Has anyone ever tried the maple syrup thing? Would the syrup burn at that temp? I was smoking at 225.

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

OK, You guys have convinced me to give this a go. I'll order my cure this weekend. My main question is, once it's done, how do you store it? Refrigerator or freezer? Whole or sliced? How long will it last?

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

I have a strong feeling that my last batch won't be around long enough to have to consider freezing some [:p]- it was a small loin- but I would expect that if properly wrapped in plastic then meat wrapping paper it should last a while. I'd likely freeze it whole and slice once thawed then BAM! into the pan. The loin slices nicely and I don't think that you'd have to slice it while it's still partially frozen. I would also think that after having cured for so long it would last a long while just being refrigerated. Those are my thoughts but I've never done it.

This weekend will be my first attempt at a butt. [:)][:p] Anxious to give that a pull after 10 or so hours in the BS and toss in some nice tangy sauce. Will let you know how that goes.

Cold Smoke

trout

Can you guys tell me if Buckboard bacon cure contains any nitrates or just nitrites. [?] My bacon cure uses both, but I have read that nitrates are nolonger really necessary and can cause problems with bacon because it is fried at high temp. Just checking to see if I should change brands.  By the way, nice analogy with the buzzards and the gut wagon.[xx(][xx(][xx(]  I have never made bacon with a loin, but if I do, I think I will cut some thick chunks and throw them on a hot grill for a few minutes.  YUMMMMMMM

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

MallardWacker

Cold,

Here is the link to my maple cure, it is at Butcher and Packer.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

This is just like the Buck Board type you have been using.  It is a dry curing powder with maple sugar in it.  It's a true curing powder.
Use it just like the BB, with same instructions.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Akansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

MallardWacker

Chez,

I really don't think you have to worry on how long you can store it.  It WILL be gone in plenty of time.  However I have placed a few steaks in the freezer, they seem to be doing fine.

<font color="red">MAN I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!</font id="red">Keeps me to hungry at work though.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Akansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas