DIY BBQ Guru or Stoker

Started by begolf25, May 18, 2010, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

I would really like to purchase a BBQ Guru or Stoker system for my Primo but they are not cheap. I was curious if anyone has tried to build their own system for a charcoal grill?

Bryan

Caneyscud

Quote from: begolf25 on May 18, 2010, 11:49:56 AM
I would really like to purchase a BBQ Guru or Stoker system for my Primo but they are not cheap. I was curious if anyone has tried to build their own system for a charcoal grill?

Bryan

Bryan,

I might have an older guru that I might let go.  I want to adapt it to my Bandera, but can't get the Guru guys to e-mail me back with answers to my questions of the best way to install it in a Bandera.  I've e-mailed them 4 times now over a period of months, and still not heard from them.  If they don't contact me - I will probably let it go.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure, but I would think that you could purchase the fan and adapter from BBQ Guru and wire a PID to control the fan, instead of the electric power going to the element. I'm sure the electricians on the board can figure it out. I not sure how much you will save. The Guru's lack the ability to be programed, but with the DigiQ DX at $179.00; you have the ability to control to pits.

Quote from: Caneyscud on May 18, 2010, 12:00:11 PM
Quote from: begolf25 on May 18, 2010, 11:49:56 AM

Bryan

Bryan,

I might have an older guru that I might let go.  I want to adapt it to my Bandera, but can't get the Guru guys to e-mail me back with answers to my questions of the best way to install it in a Bandera.  I've e-mailed them 4 times now over a period of months, and still not heard from them.  If they don't contact me - I will probably let it go.   

I find they don't respond to emails for some reason I will never understand. If you call them, they will talk your ear off. Go figure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Fred at BBQ Guru last i heard was not doing well from a health condition. I dont know if it has affected the company.

HawkeyeSmokes

I see that Auber Instruments has one now. Temperature Controller for Charcoal Smoker

Don't know to much about it but the price is good. I would contact Suyi and he could fill you in on it.
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 18, 2010, 02:33:24 PM
Fred at BBQ Guru last i heard was not doing well from a health condition. I dont know if it has affected the company.

NePas can you provide more information. I know he has been ill in the past, and had recovered from a stroke a couple of years ago. I saw him last July when his team was competing at The Harpoon Championships of New England Barbecue and spoke with him. I was hoping to see him again this year to discuss some of his new products. I haven't been on their forum much lately, but I haven't seen anything on the forum that he had a turn for the worse.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

begolf25

Quote from: Caneyscud on May 18, 2010, 12:00:11 PM
Bryan,

Caney,

Thanks for the offer. If not, I was thinking of maybe ordering the following items.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=170

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Pit-Viper-10-CFM-Fan.html

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Primo-Oval-Adaptor-Door.html

I think those would do what I need. I have a ET-73 to monitor the food temps/

Bryan

Habanero Smoker

I didn't know that Auber had a PID for charcoal smokers. Good find.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

Bryan,

Pretty slick!  And at a pretty good price.  Eager to hear the results of your experience with it. 

As an aside, all these systems can do is control the fire when it goes low in temp.  All it can do is cut on the fan to increase oxygen to the fire thereby increasing the heat produced.  If temp goes high, all it can do is sit there and then sound an alarm when it reaches a certain set temp.  HVAC controls fascinate me (I love automated control of mundane things) plus I have a friend that designs and installs them.  When I get my big stickburner replacement, he and I are going to do controls, fans, dampers, and possibly a water fog that controls the high side as well as the low side. 

begolf25

Quote from: Caneyscud on May 20, 2010, 05:33:56 AM
Bryan,

Pretty slick!  And at a pretty good price.  Eager to hear the results of your experience with it. 

As an aside, all these systems can do is control the fire when it goes low in temp.  All it can do is cut on the fan to increase oxygen to the fire thereby increasing the heat produced.  If temp goes high, all it can do is sit there and then sound an alarm when it reaches a certain set temp.  HVAC controls fascinate me (I love automated control of mundane things) plus I have a friend that designs and installs them.  When I get my big stickburner replacement, he and I are going to do controls, fans, dampers, and possibly a water fog that controls the high side as well as the low side. 

...and when will these units be available for purchase? :)

What model Guru are you considering letting go?

Caneyscud

Quote from: begolf25 on May 20, 2010, 09:58:13 AM
Bryan,

...and when will these units be available for purchase? :)
When they are - can you say priceless!   ;D ;D 

Quote from: begolf25 on May 20, 2010, 09:58:13 AM
What model Guru are you considering letting go?
Bryan, I'll find it and let you know for sure, but I think it has the power raptor unit for an electric smoker, the competitor pcu, 2 probes one for meat and one for cabinet temp and the 12v power pack.  I'm actually not sure if I have it at home or here at the office.

BuyLowSellHigh

Bryan,

This has long been a thought of mine, and I have no earthly idea of whether it would or how to make it work.  It always seemed to me that the way to regulate a traditional offset stick burner would be to have two exhausts or chimneys - one at the far side of the cooking chamber as is typical and another at the top of the firebox just before the cooking chamber,  with a sliding damper that when fully set in one direction closes the firebox chimney, leaving the only path pout through the food chamber, and then in the other extreme closes off the route to the food chamber.  The idea is to run the firebox fairly constantly (with an adjustable inlet) but control the fire exhaust direction based on desired temp in the cooking chamber.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

Caney;

If it is the one you purchased from NePas, the model Guru you have is the Competitor, with the Power Raptor to convert it to control electric smokers. The Competitor has been replace by the DigiQ II; which has been replaced by the DigiQ DX

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud