Spanish Paprika??

Started by Michael, May 18, 2010, 12:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

A couple of recipes I've seen here call for "Spanish paprika".  When I Google it I get a variety of explanations indicating it to be anywhere from a sweet paprika to picante.  I live in SoCal and none of the Mexican grocery stores sell anthing labeled as Spanish Paprika.

classicrockgriller

If you have a store that carries Mc Cormick spices .............. they offer a spanish paparika,

or Sam's carries the Tones brand in a larger quanity.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Michael on May 18, 2010, 12:43:02 PM
A couple of recipes I've seen here call for "Spanish paprika".  When I Google it I get a variety of explanations indicating it to be anywhere from a sweet paprika to picante.  I live in SoCal and none of the Mexican grocery stores sell anthing labeled as Spanish Paprika.

In So Cali you need to go here to shop for authentic mexican food.      http://www.vallartasupermarket.com/

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Michael on May 18, 2010, 12:43:02 PM
the first in line is what i use, but i get it from Harry's Farmers Market.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rlz=&q=safinter+paprika&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=YhTzS8TGIYH-8AbxrtjWDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQzAMwAg
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BuyLowSellHigh

You probably won't find much Spanish paprika at Mexican food stores.  If your local grocer doesn't have the McCormick variety then you need either a Spanish specialty shop (La Tienda) or a good herb/spice shop.

I am a fan of Spanish paprika and gave up the Hungarian stuff since I discovered Spanish.  It is typically well smoked and comes in two basic varieties - sweet and hot.  The hot is not hot at all, about like Ancho chile.  I get mine from the Spice House.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Quarlow

I just got some smoked spanish paprika for my pastrami. O M G does it smell good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Gizmo

To sort of restate what the others here have said, the McCormick's Smoked Paprika is actually Spanish Sweet Pepper that is smoked.  You can get it at Costco in super large quantity, when they carry it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

If you find a large quantity of Spanish paprika you can split it and

smoke 1/2 of it on your smoker and save it in a separate container.

There are several threads on smokin' spices.