Dual Probe Autotune

Started by love the smoke, May 18, 2010, 07:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Anybody run the autotune feature on there dual probe auber on the dual heater upgrade ? If so how long did it take ? I started mine at noon today and it was still running at 9 PM is this normal ?

LTS
LTS

classicrockgriller

no, not normal

about 20 minutes. I have the dual element

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 18, 2010, 07:25:40 PM
no, not normal

about 20 minutes. I have the dual element

Ditto.

Did the display start flashing  between AΓ and the current temperature when you set it to auto tune?
HawkeyeSmokes

love the smoke

LTS

love the smoke

Well once again Auber customer service comes through, shot off an email last night and got the answer this morning

The auto-tune needs to heat up the controller to the set point, wait the smoker to cool down . Then, heat up again. It needs to do this three times. The longer for the system to cool, the longer it will take for the auto-tune.
For the Bradley smoker with second heating element, we have done some tuning. The only parameter you need to change is the P value. It should be increased from 70 to 140. The rest of parameters should be kept the same as the original (I=600 and d=150).  This will give you the best result.
Thanks,

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments

So Auber Inst. is excellent

LTS
LTS

classicrockgriller

Thanks for the update LTS. I will change the P value and re-run autotune next smoke.

TestRocket

My Auber dual probe is new and just out of the box. I haven't even plugged it in yet. I know! Through my searching here on the forums I've come across a couple of threads where several of you have posted their PID numbers and they seem to be all over the place. So my question is has anyone tried using what "love the smoke" got back from Auber (P=140, I=600 and D=150) on their dual element OBS?

Without having any seat time with the Auber yet it seems like a good starting point? Thanks

FLBentRider

I just took it out of the box, plugged it in and started using it. I didn't do an auto-tune.

It works great.

OBS - single element.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

VI_Smoker

The same is true for me, I just plugged it in and started smoking.  It's a great addition to my OBS.

Brisket Lover

Just wanted to post a thank you for this post.  My dual probe  arrived as well as my fuse (and 3 extra just in case) so I can get back to smoking this weekend!

Toker

Strange enough wenesday Soyi told me change the P=70 for P=130 NOT 140 what is the best 130 or 140?

GusRobin

I would either leave the factory default or do an auto tune. The values that others get may be a result of autotuning based upon their set up and may not be the best for you.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Toker

OK but is it safe to run auto-tune with 2 elements? I have no spare fuse in case i blow mine. Even if i added a 2nd fuses in my OBS.

GusRobin

I ran the auto tune with dual elements. All it does (as far as I know) is run the temp up, turn it off and tracks the time it takes to cool a bit, then the time to reheat. It repeats this a number of times so that it can end up controlling the temp fluctuations.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Toker

So the pid does not have anything to do with the blown fuse?