Perdue Turkey Breast

Started by stantonl, May 19, 2010, 03:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantonl

I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I'm hoping to throw a rub and some smoke on it. I was trying to come up with a good IT to bring it up to without drying it out. Thanks in advance for the help.

Larry

drewpatton

Nice precooked turkey! What kind of rub are you going to use on that guy? Im thinking 160 IT and let carryover take it to 165.

FLBentRider

If its already cooked, why worry about the IT?

What do the cooking instructions say for IT?

I'm thinking like 130-140F..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

I believe that's the Perdue deli product, made for slicing,  It's cooked and ready to slice and eat.  The issue will be heating it without cooking it and at the same time keeping it food safe if you intend to store it.  Think deli sliced turkey breast.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

stantonl

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 19, 2010, 03:21:07 PM
If its already cooked, why worry about the IT?

What do the cooking instructions say for IT?

I'm thinking like 130-140F..

It actually doesn't have any cooking directions. I guess it is just supposed to be sliced and ate.
I'm still going to try and add some smoke flavor to it. I'm thinking maybe a hour or so of smoke.

Larry

squirtthecat

I would do it like you would smoke a pre-cooked ham...  Take it to 130-140 or so.  Then immediately FTC for a while.   That thing will lose a TON of liquid, but it should still turn out quite tasty.

2.37 a pound!  You get Perdue sliced turkey in the deli and it would be 2X that..

I get the big Perdue foodservice breast roasts to smoke..  They are fantastic.  I have to order them through a foodservice place, but it is worth the hassle.  I think they run 2.50 a pound, max.

BuyLowSellHigh

Wanted to check on this a bit and do some homework.  That is the deli product intended for slice and eat.  It has an amazing shelf life if kept very cold.  If reheating, the FSIS guideline on pre-cooked poultry is 165 °F (remember, this stuff isn't cured and it's poultry).  I would be very leery of taking it to temps much above room temperature but less than ~ 150  for as much as an hour and then attempting to keep it for any length of time afterwards.  If you can  do it fairly cold should be okay for a brief smoke.

stantonl

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 19, 2010, 04:49:25 PM
  I would be very leery of taking it to temps much above room temperature but less than ~ 150  for as much as an hour and then attempting to keep it for any length of time afterwards.  If you can  do it fairly cold should be okay for a brief smoke.

BuyLowSellHigh,
I'm a little lost by this part of your post. Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

Larry 

BuyLowSellHigh

Larry,

Think of it just like deli cold cuts or "luncheon meat", that's what it is.  If you warm it you should use it right away, within a couple of hours.  Heating it but below 145 - 150 allows harmful bacteria to grow and propagate without killing them.  Heat it above 150 and you kill 'em.  That turkey breast should either be kept cold  or if warmed used immediately, or if heated high enough, (165 recommended) then you can store it for several days.

stantonl

Thanks for advice BuyLowSellHigh. I should be giving this a try this afternoon.

Larry

BuyLowSellHigh

One thing working in your favor - that meat is so sterilized, sanitized or somethingized that they give it a 105 day shelf life with storage at 28-35 °F, and 60 days after opening at those temps.  It should be damned clean to start.

stantonl

I did rub and smoke this turkey breast. A couple of pics after the smoke. This thing is moist and delicious.

Larry

FLBentRider

Looks good!

Do you have a deli slicer or are you going to slice all that by hand?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

OU812

Now thats what I would call a thing of beauty.

What did you take the IT too before you pulled that baby outta the smoker?