Northern California newby here

Started by karmar, May 18, 2010, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karmar

Hi all

Have been looking at smokers as of late & looked at some cheapies but they all had alot of bad reviews. I then decided that maybe it's true that you get what you pay for so I started looking at more costly ones & came across the Bradley. I like the design & the reviews i've read seem to tell me that i'm on the right track. I just don't know whether to get the orginal or the digital 4 rack.

Was hoping someone could give me the pros & cons of each.

By the way i have smoked before but smoker was small & would like to start smoking turkeys, chickens & pork. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Gizmo

Really you would be happy with either.  The original is a lot cheaper and if you want tight temp control, you can add a third party temp controller (referred to as a PID) and will probably still be a bit cheaper than the digital.  The tighter temp control is not really necessary unless you do a lot of sausage and large temp swings can "Fat out" the sausage.
The digital makes it easy to set temperatures and adjust the set point.  It also gives you more control over the wood puck burner time. 
The original only comes in a 4 rack version but the digital has a 4 rack and a 6 rack version.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Welcome karmar!

Gizmo has given you some great info.

I will add this that the new Auber PID dual probe will controll the time on/time off of the smoke generator on the OBS ...

So unless you need/want the 6 rack capacity then the OBS with Auber dual probe is a winner.

Ketch22

Welcome Karmar
6 rack lots of room. :)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum karmar!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

welcome karmar  from a recent Bradley buyer.  whichever you choose you'll love it.  As a new owner I will echo what others have said about a PID controller - the  Auber Dual Probe is fantastic and easy to use.  Unless you want or need the room that the six rack provides, with the Auber controller I can't see any advantage of the digital.  I went with the six rack for the room and added the Auber.  Loving it!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KevinG

Welcome to the forum karmar, I've got the 6 rack digital and have had many great smokes come out of it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Welcome to the fun karmar

I got the 6 rack for the height to smoke summer sausage and the likes.

Which ever one you get you will love it.

Just remember to keep the vent wide open when doin poultry and at least half way open with every thing else.