Yet another big smoker....

Started by Mr Walleye, May 22, 2010, 12:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Mike, I think you have driven me to get off my lazy A$$ and get things going.

I know it is a pain to post pics, but if you have anymore of the building process

I would appreciate seeing them.

Mr Walleye

CRG

I don't have any more pictures of this one but the heating element and drip pan setup are more or less the same as mine are.

I have no problem helping you out anyway I can.
Are you still planing on using "Future Smoker #3" ?
How did you make out with the existing element?
Are you going to go 220v?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

CRG

I see the foot print of the interior of yours is 21 x 26 which will work very well using 2 half sheet pans in the bottom. This is the same setup as mine and this one that I just built. This one that I just built is a little wider and is why I built the drip shields. A half sheet pan is 18 x 13, so by using 2 of them they are 18 x 26. Your interior measurements would work well with just a small drip shield on each side.

Anyway, I can explain the complete element setup if you would like.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Thanks Mike.

Yes F S #3 is the one.

I just took two 1/2 sheet and you are correct.

Roughly 2" on each side and 1" on each end with the trays centered.

I started testing the element and something more important came up and haven't gotten back to that.

I WILL do that this week.

I also have a 1250 watt 110 element I could add to the back If 110 is the way to go.

I not only want to do Sausage in it but more important I want to do large loads of Brisket and Butts and ribs.

I know I won't be able to built a PID for it so If that happens I will hire an electrician.

Mr Walleye

CRG

What wattage is the existing element in the cabinet?

I'm kinda partial to using a 220 oven element for a couple of reasons. They are readily available, inexpensive, and at 3000 watts they have the power for large loads. You can still run 110 providing you have 2 separate circuits, similar to my original setup.

You really wouldn't have any problem putting a PID together. They're really not that difficult once you get into them and we can certainly help you out here on the forum.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mr Walleye on May 23, 2010, 03:11:46 PM
CRG

What wattage is the existing element in the cabinet?

I'm kinda partial to using a 220 oven element for a couple of reasons. They are readily available, inexpensive, and at 3000 watts they have the power for large loads. You can still run 110 providing you have 2 separate circuits, similar to my original setup.

You really wouldn't have any problem putting a PID together. They're really not that difficult once you get into them and we can certainly help you out here on the forum.

Mike

Mike I am not sure the Wattage of element there now. Is they some way of finding that out bu testing it?

I am almost 60 and I want to do what is the "Best" this time cause it will probably be my last time.

If 220 is the "Best" way to go, that is what I want to do.

Problems putting a PID together! ;D ;D  I'm the guy that trys to put a square peg in a round hole.

classicrockgriller

Can I use my generator from my OBS or Digital or should I get it's own gen?

Mr Walleye

There's no reason one of your SGs can't pull double duty. You will need to get the adapter plate though. I forgot you have a 6 rack DBS as well as an OBS.

Mike

classicrockgriller

ManXman sent me his adaptor plate and I have a cold smoke adaptor.

deer hunter77

Hello, I just received a (true) brand commercial freezer.  It has a ss outside and what appears to be a aluminum inside that is painted white.  In this build it appears your freezer has the same inside.  Did you leave it alone, and if so did it work/hold up good.  Thanks, Dan

Mr Walleye

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum

This unit has a stainless steel interior that was painted white. It was tougher than nails to cut holes for the generator and the vent.

The original one I built was all aluminium inside and out. It was much easier to work with. I didn't do anything with the interior and to date it has functioned perfectly.

Incidentally, the interior of the Bradley OBS is aluminium as well. The DBS is stainless.

Mike

deer hunter77

Thank You very much.  I need to get a thread started and introduce myself/post a few pics of my project.

neocostical

That is one great looking smoker. I like the tempered Glass door, you can see whats going on without opening the door. 

carnie1

Quote from: Mr Walleye on May 22, 2010, 03:18:13 PM
CRG

It was about 12 to 15 minutes to go from room temp to 200 degrees. I also had it as high as 300 degrees. The PID that controls the element is a programmable and I have programmed all 30 steps to try to take in all smoking applications. I'll try to remember to post my programing sheet that I made up. Each muti step sequence has a final shut down command as well. It's hard to describe with out looking at the program sheet. I'll send myself an email to work so I remember to post it.  ::)

Mike

I'd be interested to see just how you can program that PID, I'd like to build a different one you can program in steps  ;) ramp up ramp down etc, is this similar to that? Also can it be wired for 120 VAC input?

Mr Walleye

Hi Carnie

You can use the programable pid to control either a 110v or 220 v circuit.

I must have totally forgot to post my the programing sheet I made up for this. I just bought a new laptop here at home and for some reason I can't find the file. I know I have it at my office and when I get there on Monday I'll post it here or even send you an email with it. There's 30 steps you can program including pause or stop commands. I could explain how it works but it would be a lot easier if you were looking at the programing sheet I made up.

Mike