Yet another big smoker....

Started by Mr Walleye, May 22, 2010, 12:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I finally got around to building another big smoker for a friend of mine. This one started life as a commercial fridge. It has 2.5 inch thick insulated walls and a 4 inch thick insulated top. We decided we would leave the glass in the door and see how it fairs. It's a thermal pane with tempered glass and so far so good. The element is a 3000 watt 220 volt oven element. We wired this one up the same as my other big smoker with a separate controller & contactor which operates as a high limit safety because this smoker is also going into a heated garage. Anyway, here's some pictures....

The first couple of pictures are when it first came to life.... It's like having a new baby!  :D

I used a little different style of vent on this one. It's a 4 inch pipe with a butterfly plate in it. Once the smoker is in it's new home it will be under a 250 cfm range hood spaced about 1 inch above the vent.

This shows the deflector shields I installed to deflect any grease drips into the pans that are foiled lined. Makes for easy quick clean up.

This shows the control panel. Temps aren't the same because this was taken just after we fired it up for the first time. We've got it dialled in now.

This is the wiring diagram I did up for my other smoker. This one is exactly the same except there isn't a blower in it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

classicrockgriller

Geez I need to get mine going.

That is just Top Notch!

Great job Mike.

Bet you have a happy friend.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

Fantastic. Nice job. That has everything except a convection fan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys, It just left for it's permanent home this morning. He's going to get it all set up this weekend and run a batch of sausage through it next weekend for it's first smoke.

Mike

smokeitall

As usual Mike, very nice work!  That looks great.  I really like the idea of the glass in the door, I hope it holds up.  I wonder if it will get a thick film of smoke on the inside to where you can't see in it.
SIA

Mr Walleye

SIA

My money is it will get a pretty good film of smoke on it. I didn't have it vented in my garage so I only ran an hour of smoke through it before I sent it home but it already had a light coat on it. I'm sure a guy could clean it though. Should be interesting being able to watch the smoke though. I'm thinkin' that's going to be an arm chair, beer drinkin' sport!  ::)  :D

Mike

classicrockgriller

What temps do you feel like this smoker will obtain with the 3000 watt element?

smokeitall

Quote from: Mr Walleye on May 22, 2010, 03:07:39 PM
SIA

My money is it will get a pretty god film of smoke on it. I didn't have it vented in my garage so I only ran an hour of smoke through it before I sent it home but it already had a light coat on it. I'm sure a guy could clean it though. Should be interesting being able to watch the smoke though. I'm thinkin' that's going to be an arm chair, beer drinkin' sport!  ::)  :D

Mike

Yeah I think I would have to get a couch out there if I had a window in mine.  That would be interesting to watch the smoke.  I would think if he wiped it after every smoke it will be fine.  Either way its still an awesome smoker.  ;D
SIA

Mr Walleye

CRG

It was about 12 to 15 minutes to go from room temp to 200 degrees. I also had it as high as 300 degrees. The PID that controls the element is a programmable and I have programmed all 30 steps to try to take in all smoking applications. I'll try to remember to post my programing sheet that I made up. Each muti step sequence has a final shut down command as well. It's hard to describe with out looking at the program sheet. I'll send myself an email to work so I remember to post it.  ::)

Mike

classicrockgriller

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

WOWSERS

Mike thats a nice smoker you built. Your friend is a happy camper i bet  ;D