Cleaning the Bradley Smoker

Started by RAK92, May 20, 2010, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAK92

Hello all,

I just returned from a 7-month deployment overseas and did my first smoke of the summer the day after I returned (tasty pork butt).

I have had the Bradley for over a year now and have cleaned the drip pan, bowl, and grates, however I didn't know what type of cleaning is recommended for inside the smoker itself. I have wiped down any drippings, etc that may have missed the drip pan, etc and cleaned the vent. I have noticed that the smoke coating (or whatever it's called) inside the box is starting to flake off. Do I need to scrub the inside of my smoker to get all the black stuff off? I have left it untouched figuring that this would add more flavor to the meat as I use the smoker more.

The instruction manual really doesn't go into detail about how the inside of the smoker should be cleaned.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

BTW, the pork butt turned out AWESOME! It's good to be home!!

KyNola

DON'T scrub the black stuff off the insaide.  Just lightly brush the flaking parts off.  The black stuff is seasoning for your smoker and that's exactly what you're looking for.  Your other cleaning(racks, pan, drip tray) are correct.  Every once in a while take some rubbing alcohol and clean the door seal and the vent.

Welcome home and thanks for your service to our country.

KyNola

FLBentRider

I'll concur with ALL of what KyNola said.

Especially the thanks for your service.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Rak, Welcome Home and like others said ... THANKS!

When you leave you Bradley for a long term like that, next time you might want

to go thru like the pre-seasoning before you use it to help bring it back into smoking condition.

That will kill all the germies that thought they found a new home.

Like KN said just take a wadded up papper towel and kinda lightly brush over the flaky stuff.

Congrats on your first smoke back home.

Quarlow

The boys got you covered. Just wanted to say thanks for your service which ever side of the border you are on. Glad you are back safe and get to breath that sweet smoker smoke again.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

I don't beleive we can ever say Thank You enough.

Quarlow

Rak can I ask you a question about over there. If you don't want to answer just say no thanks and I will leave it alone. I was just wondering if you thought the "real people" over there do really want our help or would they just like us to go away? Maybe I should just PM this to you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

RAK92

All,

Thank you SO MUCH for the advice and the "thanks"!Q

Quarlow, I was stationed in Jebel Ali, UAE (I am in the U.S. Navy) and conducted waterborne and landside security for U.S. ships that pull into port there. The local people that we worked with seemed pretty appreciative for what we do, but it isn't like the real "war zones" of Iraq or Afghanistan.

Again, thanks to all for the advice. I really appreciate it!!  ;D

Quarlow

Thanks Rak I wasn't sure if it was maybe a sensitive question or not. Glad you are safe though. I hear on the news that another one of our Canadian Boys fell today. Sad day and we have lost a couple more in the last week.

OBS
BBQ