New Smoker from Dallas. Gonna try a Brisket Saturday. Need suggestions

Started by digitalshaw, May 20, 2010, 06:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalshaw

Okay, new to smoking got the OBS, tested a few weeks ago and did the seasoning to it. Now I'm ready... I think. There's so much information here, and hard to find it all. Here's what I'm going to do, and my questions.

1. Buy a 8-10 pounder from the grocery store tomorrow
2. Rub with a rub my mom got (Butt Rub. Haha classic name). Looks good
3. Put it in the fridge over night. Should I wrap with aluminum foil?

I bought a Maverick remote thermometer.

Questions/Suggestions
1. How long to smoke and cook?
2. Should I cook it in the oven or grill it after smoking/cooking to get that good bark? ( I really want to get some good bark)
3. The 2nd from the top shelf seems to be the location of choice. Correct?
4. Recommended temp?
5. Tips or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll take pics and give credit where deserved.

~ andy

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum digitalshaw!

Lots of questions. good.

3. No foil. Plastic wrap. Why? the salt in the rub will eat holes in the foil and make a mess. Trust me on this one.

I would apply 4 hours of smoke @205-225F and continue to cook at that temp until the IT is 195F

Empty refill the water bowl after the smoke is done.

Bark is not from grilling, it is from smoke and long exposure to heat.

Keep the vent at least 1/4 open.

No peeking. Add 30 minutes of cook time per peek.

Fat side up or down is up to you. ask and you will start a debate! (I'm a fat up guy myself)

Don't get a brisket that has all the fat trimmed off (market trimmed) you need that for moisture on a long cook

Don't trim too much fat off.

You might have to bend it to get it on the rack, it will straighten itself out as it cooks and shrinks.

Take a pic so you know which way the grain goes, you may not be able to tell later through the bark

I would slice against the grain when serving.

Plan on 12 to 18 hours, FTC an hour or so after its done and before slicing.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Andy, Welcome from another Texan.

If you are going to try a Brisket first, I'd save the Butt Rub for a Butt.
Simple salt/pepper/garlic and onion powder will work.

Foil will work, butt saran wrap is prettier. ;D You can see all the spices on the Brisket.

Most people smoke 4 hrs, I like longer but that is a good starting point.

The Bradley will make you some good Bark.

Second from the top works or the next rack down, just not the bottom rack.

Put your maverick cabinet probe under your brisket and adjust OBS to temp of 220 to 230.

You are probably looking at 12 to 16 hrs to reach 195* IT.

Then you can FTC for 3 to 5 hrs.

The credit goes to the Forum.

DTAggie

Digital - In Dallas myself (McKinney actually) the pros have given you good advice.  Fat up in my opinion. The OBS makes great bark.  I agree on not using the Butt rub on a brisket.  I use more than 4 hours of smoke as I feel the longer smoke creates the bark.

What wood do you plan on using?  I like a combo of hickory and mesquite.  Have not tried pecan and oak yet. 

I agree with Classic on cabinet temp in the 220* to 230* range.

TAKE PICS!!

OU812

Welcome to the fun digitalshaw

For brisket I like to keep it simple, I want to taste the beef.

Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder thats it.

Fat side up.

I slice the fat with the grain so I can tell how to slice when its done.

Smoke with 4 hr Oak or Pecan

Cabnet temp of 220 F

No boat or foil

Pull outta the smoker when the IT hits 190 F (about 1 1/2 hr per lb)

FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for bout an hr and walla.

Good luck and keep us posted.

digitalshaw

Wow guys. thanks for all the input. It's amazing how cool everyone here is. I'll take in all the information and let everyone know how it turns out.  I'm pretty excited about combining gadgets and cooking together. I wonder if my Maverick has an iphone app. LOL! So can someone give me the specs on a good rub and the ratio of the spices? I guess the Butt rub needs to be flushed.

Speaking of Butts, on the temp. probes (Bad joke), the recommendation would be to put one into the brisket and one under it? Does that sound right? I have played with the Maverick yet, so forgive my ignorance. Been busy and haven't gone through the manual.

Bought some bear claws too. I think I'm ready to go on gadgets. Another question. Extension cords. I'm gonna be smoking in my garage area. I have a pretty heavy duty orange extension cord. Do I need to ge a particular cord to avoid any damage?

Thanks for all the help. Brisket at my house.

FLBentRider

Quote from: digitalshaw on May 21, 2010, 11:44:39 AM
Wow guys. thanks for all the input. It's amazing how cool everyone here is. I'll take in all the information and let everyone know how it turns out.  I'm pretty excited about combining gadgets and cooking together. I wonder if my Maverick has an iphone app. LOL! So can someone give me the specs on a good rub and the ratio of the spices? I guess the Butt rub needs to be flushed.

Keep the butt rub, use it on your (pork) butt.

I like to use from the Smoke & Spice book the "Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub", great on everything!

Rub Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup paprika
    * 1/4 cup coarse black pepper
    * 1/4 cup coarse salt
    * 1/4 cup sugar
    * 2 Tbsp chilli powder
    * 2 Tbsp garlic powder
    * 2 Tbsp onion powder
    * 2 tsp cayenne

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

digitalshaw

Well. Things looking good. Smoked from 9:30-2ish with Hickery, Jim Beam, and Cherry mix. Temperature jumped up to 254 when I checked on it at the end of the smoking time. Got the temp. down and it's been rolling at 215-220 ever since. Currently at a IT of 192. Can't wait to see how it looks.

It's amazing how quickly the temp drops when I first put it in went from 205 to 135 just keeping it open to put it in and get the probe set up. Any tricks to reduce this? I had to wire the probe in through the vents and then stick in the meat.

Overall, went smooth. I'll post pics after it's all done.

~ Andy

FLBentRider

Quote from: digitalshaw on May 22, 2010, 08:38:54 AM
It's amazing how quickly the temp drops when I first put it in went from 205 to 135 just keeping it open to put it in and get the probe set up. Any tricks to reduce this? I had to wire the probe in through the vents and then stick in the meat.

I would suggest a couple of foil wrapped building or fire bricks.

One next to the water bowl and the other on the V-tray.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812