Do all your smokers leak pretty bad underneath it???

Started by uniman, May 24, 2010, 06:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniman

Always wiping up a bunch of sludge and pretty nasty stuff underneath my smoker.

Quick question, is this normal???

FLBentRider

You mean like underneath the unit itself?

No. That is not normal.

Is it on a level surface?

Is there the same sludge on the inside at the bottom?

Is there a clear indication as to were it is dripping from?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I will answer your question with a question.

What do you have your vent opening at?   It sounds like your vent is closed down to much and your trapping all the moisture inside the cabinet. thus the moisture is leaking out the bottom of the unit at the door seal. Always keep your vent open at least 1/4 of the way and wide open if doing poultry of any kind. (Very High Moisture Content)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

uniman

yes, underneath the unit itself.

It's almost like it hits the v tray, then finds it way to leak out the door.

It appears to be the front left side of the smoker where it leaks the most.

It is on a level surface, some sludge is in the bottom tray.

Here is what is weird, it doesn't leak when I am actually using it, it is after I turn it off.  Check the next day, and a bunch of sludge is sitting there.

I usually keep the open vent open bout halfway for most everything.

BuyLowSellHigh

Sounds like you're getting condensation on the door (or the sides) that later drips down and shows up outside.  I can't see how stuff that hits the drip try could readily find a path outside, unless there was spillage outside the catch tray underneath. If it's drips and condensation running down the walls/door, then it does sound like a venting problem.  Next time check the door interior and the inner walls for signs of drips and condensation.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

I'm with 10.5.  Open the vent more.  Interestingly enough, I encountered that a couple of times before they set me straight on the vent and mine always leaked from the left front corner as well.

uniman

thanks guys!  will see if opening the vent works!

Tenpoint5

I know this will sound strange but it has happened. Is your V-tray installed correctly? with the V going down. It has been installed upside down before.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DarqMan

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 24, 2010, 08:29:38 AM
I know this will sound strange but it has happened. Is your V-tray installed correctly? with the V going down. It has been installed upside down before.

Guilty as charged your honor.  :'(
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

KyNola

DTAggie

I am with Uniman on this one.  My v-tray is in correctly and the OBS is almost dead level.  Actually leans a tad back as I modified some wood blocks just behind front legs to take pressure off the face plate.  Still leaks at left front leg.  It leaked before I ever used the mod to take pressure off the face plate.  There is no build up of grease/water in bottom of the cabinet.  I always smoke with vent basically fully open.

uniman

Opening the vent more did help quite a bit.  Leaked a little, but not nearly as much.