Top Kill - Pray

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, May 25, 2010, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

KyNola

BLSH,
After they fill it full of the mud, I think they start pumping a special type of concrete in it to seal it.  The BOP is apparently totally inoperable.  The "top kill" is being used because the BOP is shot.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: KyNola on May 27, 2010, 12:49:16 PM
BLSH,
After they fill it full of the mud, I think they start pumping a special type of concrete in it to seal it.  The BOP is apparently totally inoperable.  The "top kill" is being used because the BOP is shot.

Yeah, I guess that's the plan.  I was under the impression that cementing required a static and stable hold against the reservoir, and without and ability to hold the kill closed it sure isn't static.

Keep praying !
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

Apparently the concrete used is a specific formula that sets in 6 hours.  I assume they would pump it in and continue to hold it under a distinct pressure until such time as the concrete had cured and then gradually begin to release the pressure and pray to God that the plug holds.

I feel a lot better today.  The Federal Government proclaimed that they had been in charge of the situation from day one and the President himself took full responsibility for the outcome.  Be careful what you wish for sir, as you may surely get it. ;)

BuyLowSellHigh

Looks like they need to get some better sense of a seal on the riser.  Based on the reports this evening of the 16 hr shutdown of pumping overnight and the flow that was coming back, the reservoir pressure is way up there - it pushed a 5000+ foot column of mud back up.

Been watching tonight and the kinked riser at the top of the BOP now shows another new break and leak.  From the reports I have heard as they resume pumping tonight they are including bridging material (ie.e., junk) in an attempt to plug up some of the rider leaks so they can develop greater pressures.  New video is going to extreme closeups of the riser leaks and if I am seeing this correctly I am seeing the bridging junk getting trapped in one of the leak holes.  Looks like the idea is trying to work but not much of a plug yet.  So now my question is if they plug up the riser that appears to be very weak in the kink zone, to develop greater pressure down hole, what happens inside the riser?

Right now I am hopeful, but I have not yet seen anything that makes me believe this is going to work.

BuyLowSellHigh

Top Kill ain't going to be the answer.  That operation has been stopped and they  are now moving on to a cap of the LMRP, which is the region of the riser that attaches to the BOP.  This will not kill the leak but is intended to enable them to capture the majority of the flow.  After the cap package the next step is a second BOP on top of the first as they continue to work on the ultimate solution, the two relief wells.

Bottom line - the leaking is going to continue for a while yet.  This is NOT good.  Folks in LA coastal regions are getting hit hard, and it will probably soon extend to MS and AL.

KyNola

Quarlow

What a joke. Why aren't these things fitted with some kind of breakaway sleeve or valve?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Smokey the Bear.

Looks like this has all happened before.              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmhxpQEGPo

So much for the brains of the operation.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Smokey the Bear. on June 02, 2010, 04:17:17 PM
Looks like this has all happened before.              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmhxpQEGPo

So much for the brains of the operation.

That was Ixtoc1.  You would think in 31 years that something would have been learned about how to deal with these events, but apparently not.  What disturbs me most is the complete lack of preparedness given this has happened before.

Smokey the Bear.

They tell the govt what to do and that is basically keep out of it.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

Quarlow

Of course if the government steps in then they are likely responsible for the clean up too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

QuoteOf course if the government steps in then they are likely responsible for the clean up too.

Very true.  That is a bullet you wanna dodge fur sure.  Their mess, let 'em pay and not the tax payer.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Oldman

QuoteThe thing I have not yet heard is if all the drilling fluid pumping is successful at pushing things back down how they will hold it in place
I read where it was a failure.

I don't know what it is going to take to get the political will to get off of oil but we can. Just look at California and their hydrogen filling stations. Or Compress Natural Gas. You can even get a set up that will take Natural Gas and compress at your home to fill up your car.

Look at the French and how they have limited their need for oil or even better Brazil.

Next I read a letter to the editor of our local newspaper that stated that if we don't do the drilling then Cuba, or the Chinese or some other country will drill. To that statement I say if it was going to happen then we would need another JFK. It is all about political will. (Cuban missile crisis.)

Today because of our change in direction here in the Tampay bay area for the first time we have rock lobsters back and I can go out any night on the flats and fill more 5 gallon buckets with good shrimp that 20 years ago was unheard of.  The fishing is just great....

Drill Baby Drill is great...just do it in your own back yard and not mine. Leave my gulf and bay out of the program.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

HCT

Hmmmmmmmm,
Why were SWAT teams the first ti be called down there?
They claim thety put a man on the moon {oh really} but can't fix this.
Why were the survivors forced to sign papers that they couldn't talk to the news about the blast before they could return to their families, otherwise be detained.
Obama is bought and owned by BP, does anyone believe that he is going to find some"ass to kick", when he's in Chicago playing b-ball with Shaq?
Why are the workers down there not wearing respirators knowing that the fumes are poisonous?
Seems like another 9/11 clean-up.
Why are the talking heads not aloud near the site. Not that they would give us the true story.
Why is the area a no fly zone.
Stock up on food folks, this isn't going away any time soon.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"