Never got up to temp

Started by EZ Smoker, May 26, 2010, 01:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

Y'know what I like about you guys?   You give me so much credit.   You don't talk down to me.  You treat me like I'm intelligent.   But, truth be known, I'm not.   High temp sensor?  What?  Where is that?    An ohm meter??  I've heard of those.  Those are tools that smart people have, right?  

Call Bradley?  That I can do.   Actually, I'm still under warranty.  

But seriously, thanks for all the help.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

EZ Smoker

Oops, cross-posted with you there.  I was reading the temp on my maverick with the probe hanging through the vent just above the ribs that were on the top rack.  I also had ribs on the 2nd-to-top rack.   Earlier during this smoke I was also using the Auber PID probe, which was also hanging from the vent just above the top rack, though it was measuring a few degrees below my maverick consistently.   

Thermal cutoff, huh?   Thanks.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

classicrockgriller

LOL. Well you were smart enough to buy a Bradley.

When you cook is over. Look inside your cabinet about 2/3 to 3/4 way up on the back wall.

That is the temp sensor.

If you take the back panel off and look at it from the back, you will see a wire running to it.

That is what Mike is referring to.

Mr Walleye

EZ Smoker

The reason I asked about where your probes were is because their location (above or below the meat) will influence the reading. In my opinion you want to measure and control the temp directly below the meat and not above it. The reason for this is the meat itself absorbs heat and gives of cooler moisture vapour and therefore lowers the temperature. If you control the temperature from above the meat at say 220 degrees, the temperature that the bottom of the meat is exposed to could be 20 to 40 degrees higher and will sometimes result in the bottom drying out or burning. This is also the reason for rotating the racks during the smoke.

I hope that made sense.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

DarqMan

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 15, 2010, 05:19:45 PM
LOL. Well you were smart enough to buy a Bradley.

When you cook is over. Look inside your cabinet about 2/3 to 3/4 way up on the back wall.

That is the temp sensor.

If you take the back panel off and look at it from the back, you will see a wire running to it.

That is what Mike is referring to.

It's about the size of a nickle.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

TestRocket

EZ Smoker,

Your right, calling Bradley tomorrow may be your next step. I have just finished modifying my OBS and here are a couple of PICS to help you see what we're talking about. These are just to show where everything is mounted in a view from the back and from inside the cabinet.

Here you can see black plastic insulator protecting the over temperature sensor (mounted through a 5/8 inch hole in the back wall. The wire coming off the top is connected to the inline fuse and back down towards the bottom into a hole to the heating element.

Here is an inside view of the cabinet showing the original over temperature sensor (smoked over) on the left and a new one that I added on the right. They both are mounted with small screws and nuts and the wires are connected with easy to remove (and replace spade lugs) like an automobile fuse panel.

Mr Walleye also has a good point!

But going by:" But without the PID, the light on the Bradley goes off when the temp is dropping, then comes back on when the temp starts heating up again" Along with the slider all the way to the right...

I'm thinking it's the over temperature sensor! But it won't be the first time today I've been wrong.

Good Luck and keep us up-to-date!

Mr Walleye

TestRocket

I think we are talking about the same thing. The thermal cut off is the part that fits into the back of the cabinet and the thermal fuse is mounted on the back side of it. If the thermal fuse blows, it's done. When the thermal cut off is triggered it will shut down the power to the element until the cabinet cools to a certain temperature. If the thermal cut off is week it will start cutting out at a lower temp similar to the problem EZ Smoker is having.

I don't have an obs (highly modified DBS  ::) ) but this is how I understand it.

I find this puzzling though.... "One notable difference between the two scenarios:  When I was using the PID, the light on he Bradley would stay on, even whil the temp was dropping.   But without the PID, the light on the Bradley goes off when the temp is droppng, then comes back on when the temp starts heating up again."

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

TestRocket

Quote from: Mr Walleye on June 15, 2010, 06:41:39 PM
I find this puzzling though.... "One notable difference between the two scenarios:  When I was using the PID, the light on he Bradley would stay on, even whil the temp was dropping.   But without the PID, the light on the Bradley goes off when the temp is droppng, then comes back on when the temp starts heating up again."
We are on the same page here and I too am confused by that quote.

One other thing I thought of was maybe the temp control slider and gotten wet or is failing?

Give me a screwdriver, voltmeter and about 20 minutes and we all would know.  :)

Good luck EZ Smoker