OBS electrical schematic diagram

Started by TestRocket, May 26, 2010, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

Does anyone have the electrical schematic diagram of the OBS. I know it seems pretty straight forward but I would like to add the second 500 watt element along with a second high temp sensor and the on/off switch. I want to leave the first element and slider control fully functionally and pull the power off the A/C input and just get an idea of how many high temp lugs and how much high temp wire I'll need.

Also I see from all the mod PICS that the element guard isn't being replaced and I would like to guard both elements. Is this a room issue?

Thanks,

TestRocket

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

Once you take the back off, the wiring is pretty straight forward.

I'm not sure if you have seen this post; Additional Element with On/Off Control . It is to be used in conjunction with this Additional Heating Element. click on the pictures to enlarge

I believe I used ten feet of wire and had about a foot left over, but I did not add the additional temperature sensor plug. If you wire the on/off switch the way I did, I would add another 2.5' - 3' more of wire for the sensor. You should also order the in-line fuse, which is part of the temperature sensor plug. If you decide not to go with the fuse, then add an additional 2.5' - 3'.

I really haven't check if there is enough room for a guard on the second element, and it may be a little tricky to install one. I left the guard off the original element, and saw no need to put a guard on the second one. The guard is to keep the element from coming in contact with the meat. I rarely smoke without the "V" (drip) tray, so I saw no need to use them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket

Thank you Habanero Smoker for getting back to me, I've read many of your helpful post already. Speaking of the fuse I had wondered if it would be enough of a safety feature without the high temp sensor. Any thoughts? FYI I've dropped the hint for a dual TC PID for Father's Day or my BD (only 2 days apart). So I won't be running the second element without a controller. 

TestRocket

Habanero Smoker

I have a temperature control device, so I feel I don't need the second sensor. If you are not currently using a PID or other temperature control device I would install the second sensor. Without the PID, you will not be able to control the second element (other then on/off); unless you hook that to your current temperature controller. Others have done that and it has worked, but I haven't tried it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket