Buffalo Bratwurst recipe?

Started by Quarlow, May 27, 2010, 07:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I want to make Buffalo Bratwurst. I have 7 lbs of ground buffalo but I am not sure how lean it is. So I was thinking 7lbs of buffalo, 3lbs of regular ground beef might get it to about 80/20 but I need your thoughts on that cause this will be my first sausage. I thought I should use beef as pork might make it to pork flavoured. I can grind as I have a hand grinder now, so if I need more fat than regular ground beef what would you suggest? I have Rytek's book but his Bratwurst recipe is for pork sausage not for buffalo and  I have no idea what "soy protein concentrate" is. Maybe I should not be using the buffalo for bratwurst and should make some other type of sausage? I am just not sure, all I know is I would like to compliment the buffalo not overpower it. Oh and by the way, I have never tasted buffalo meat before. My uncle cleaned out his freezer and gave my brothers and I most of his red meat as he is having trouble with gout,plus he needed to get some of his 2 and 3 year old game meat used up so I got a bunch of moose,deer and some awesome Angus Beef. Should I use Rytek's recipe with the 7lbs/3lbs replcement of the pork or should I go to a different recipe all together? Any thoughts from you sausage masters would be appreciated.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

In my experience buffalo is pretty lean (and delicious).  If you want to dilute with beef I'd use some pretty fatty cut or pork belly.  Sausage under about 30% fat is pretty dry when cooked.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Quarlow

Ok so I want a 70/30. I know it is lean, but I don't know how lean. I don't want a porky tasting sausage but maybe the buffalo is strong enough to overcome the pork. Not sure. What do you think is fatty enough for this in beef?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KevinG

The soy protein concentrate is basically the same as non-fat dry milk. It's used to retain moisture and bulk. Without it the sausage will be dryer and shrink up more.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

My understanding is that Buffalo is 70 to 90 % leaner than beef.

Not knowing if or how much fat is in your Buffalo I would say add 30 % fat.

With the 7 lb you got and 3 lb beef fat you would have a 10 lb batch of Bratwurst.

I get most of my beef fat from the briskets I do.

I realise its kinda hard to get brisket up there but can you talk to a butcher and ask him for some good hard white beef fat from the next time he slaughters?

When grinding fat freeze it for a couple hrs first you want the fat almost solid when you grind it or it will smear when you grind, that aint know fun.

Quarlow

OU, So you think 3 lbs of fat or 3lbs of fatty meat?
Kevin, Can I sub dry milk for the soy protein?

OBS
BBQ

OU812

Q

If its straight up Buffalo I would go with FAT.

If it looks like some fat has been added during processing then I would still add fresh ground Chuck, try to pick the one with the most marbling and a good fat cap.

You can sub "Non Fat Dry Milk" for the soy protein concertrate in equal amounts.

KevinG

Yep Q, OU got you set straight. Either stuff equal amounts.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

Ok thats great info guys thanks. I can't wait to make my first sausages.

OBS
BBQ

OU812

Cant wait to here and see the results Q.

I think your gonna like that Buffalo meat, good for ya too.